Now that driving is down, so are organ transplants

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/23/now-that-driving-is-down-so-a.html

3 Likes

Reminds me of various doctors noting how motorcycle helmet laws also (apparently) dramatically affected availability of “young, healthy” organs.

Of course, helmet laws were a massive net gain in lives. I don’t think each and every fatality was saving >1 life through organ transplants.

9 Likes

The UK has moved to an opt-out program. This is the way forward

15 Likes

But Fox News keeps telling me the lockdown is killing people

What about the suicides? What about, um, the drug overdoses?

8 Likes

Drug overdoses, intentional or not, aren’t so great for the organs?

7 Likes

it’s just propaganda, the lockdown is not killing anybody

5 Likes

They don’t have this problem in China. Seems they have some sort of special program people can enroll in. Says here it’s called, uh, Falun Gong?

1 Like

Perfect opportunity for the companies making plant-based meat alternatives to get into the artificial organ business.

4 Likes

That said I imagine that motorcycle insurance is still crazy cheap.

That really depends on what kind of bike you ride.

2 Likes

I have rolled straight street bikes and medium and big dual sports (really the KTM was adventure sport but whatever).

Always been cheap. Insurance companies are still betting on your either not causing much damage to others or not being alive to collect on it.

2 Likes

Yeah, those are going to be pretty cheap to insure. And a helluva lot of fun to ride. My premium tripled when I bought a liter bike :smiley: (totally worth it, but it is the choice of all the idiots out there)

1 Like

3 Likes

Just wait until >80% of the vehicles on the road are self-driving.

(I hadn’t really thought about organ donation, but at some point speed and red light camera revenue will fall below the cost of maintaining the devices and running the related admin.)

1 Like

I don’t know if I really want a liver made out of textured vegetable protein.

2 Likes

They’re going to wreck on purpose and sell our organs?

4 Likes

Sure, why not, if the genetic profile from the 23andme test you took suggests you might be a match, and the perps can make it look like a genuine accident, why the hell not? Trump could plausibly make it legal, if the recipient was a republican senator and the donor was a less affluent non-republican voter…

3 Likes

Why not? It goes great with fava beans and a nice Chanti.

3 Likes

c.f.

My understanding is that there needs to be rigorous infectious disease screening, but otherwise organs from opioid overdose deaths are good quality because the deceased are typically young and lack conditions like diabetes and hypertension.

3 Likes