Now you can order the Echo Dot from any web browser

For IFTTT, I don’t do a lot, but combined with our Android phones (no iOS here, sorry) there’s some useful (but mostly stupid) things I have set up.

“Alexa, trigger (my or my wife’s) phone” causes our phone to ring so we can find it.

(There’s some rather klugey ways of using triggers to send preset “I’m home” type texts using Echo’s existing “Shopping list” or “To do” list functionality, but there’s no method of having it dictate a text (yet)).

“Alexa, trigger nightlight” sets my one smart lightbulb (a LIFX color one in our kitchen dining area) to a 1% soft light.

On the stupid side of things: “Alexa, trigger Italian Restaurant” sets the same light bulb to soft reddish. (Then “Alexa, Italian Dinner playlist” has the Echo kick in to “O Solo Mio”, et al from a playlist I set up on Spotify.) I have set this up with several combinations of stereotypical restaurant lighting / music scenarios, that get triggered by me when we have anything from frozen pizza (Italian) to Fish sticks (“Trigger seafood restaurant”). It turns out I’m really an annoying person to live with.

At 7 am and pm, triggers turn that same light to Green–non-obtrusively telling us it’s our dog Lucky’s feeding time (“Alexa, trigger Lucky has been fed” turns it back to soft white).

When my wife gets home, a trigger tied to her phone’s location changes the light to bright pink. (She’s not amused, but again–“annoying to live with.”) I have a lot of various other light triggers set up too useless to list.

There’s tons of recipes that involve Echo, phones (ios and android), smart light bulbs, smart watches, etc. at the IFTT site. I plan to eventually get a smart thermostat, and smart lock for our front door, which should really ramp up my annoying trigger abilities to divorce-threatening level proportions. Can’t wait!

Kitchen is medium sized? (It’s about 20 feet from where the Echo is to the far side. It always hears you from anywhere in the kitchen, and other people talking isn’t an issue–though if it’s already playing music, sometimes you do have to raise your voice and try a couple of times before it picks it up. (If the music’s REALLY loud, you sometimes do end up shouting “ALEXA, STOP”, or waiting for a quiet point, or just walking over and spinning down the volume manually to get it to hear you.)

6 Likes

I don’t even need the booze to know how true THAT is.

She… she just understands me, you know?

1 Like

Thanks so far.

How does the triggering of other devices work? Do you need to have phone present and alexa triggers the corresponding app on the phone?

You sound like my kind of hoopy frood. Can you set up a trigger for 70’s dance party with an IoT enabled smoke machine and disco ball?

2 Likes

No, triggers are handled via the internet from the IFTTT servers, though any"triggered" devices do have to have the app (Echo calls it a “skill”) so they’ll receive the trigger and act on it.

So, when, say Alexa triggers my light to change color at a certain time, it’s just the Echo receiving the trigger via the internet from the IFTTT server–no phone or other device involved at all.

1 Like

Yes! The ball would have to remain hidden, then drop from the ceiling when I trigger my Bee Gees play list. I’d also have to make sure my wife is not near any cutlery or blunt instruments at the time. Just need to find a wifi enabled disco ball and I’m there!

There is actually a “house party” trigger I’ve played with–“Alexa, trigger house party” causes the LifX light to flash a random color. It’s not nearly over the top enough though for my tastes.

1 Like

You can get them from Amazon UK

2 Likes

Yeah noticed that too. They’ll be available in Germany at the same time as in the UK. Apparently they had a press conference about that a few days ago.

1 Like

No problem. China factory to the rescue:

Wifi controlled disco light

You have to order at least four though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.