NPR is forbidden from promoting its own podcasts on the air

[Read the post]

1 Like

cause duh the podcast take away ears from the radio.
of course the idea they actually offer something that is actually worth taking time out of my day to listen to live is nowhere to be found.
I now listen to all of 2 things on NPR anymore. Says You which hey I can’t get as a podcast (free anyway) and The Art of Jazz which is a totally local only show.

2 Likes

3 Likes

You’d think there’d be a coup d’etat or something to solve this nonsense.

4 Likes

That’s funny. I never even noticed because when they mention the podcasts within the shows that sounds a lot like promotion, and has prompted me to go and download some of them.

And of course within many of the shows themselves they promote their own podcasts and even give credit to others, such as Snap Judgment whose host will sometimes say that a particular story comes from another podcast and that we listeners should go and download it too.

5 Likes

NPR One is available on Android and Windows phone too. Could you maybe link to their general product page (http://www.npr.org/about/products/npr-one/) instead of itunes?

6 Likes

So talking about their own productions is unnecessary advertising, but all those “brought to you by our kind donors $InsertCorporation” slots are perfectly fine?

5 Likes

I hate Itunes, because they hate Linux.

6 Likes

A great show that’s awesome in its own right, but I notice that every now and again it seems as though SJ becomes the overflow for stories from This American Life. Still, great show.

2 Likes

Why not? It annoys me that I can’t get I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue as a podcast, when I can get some of Radio 4’s crappier offerings, like The Now Show. I think it’s a rights thing with that, not made directly by the BBC?

I am not sure how much connection they have with NPR vs them being their own thing. You can get episodes for like $1 and they do have the stuff edited out for the aired show.

I love the fact that you can find just about anything you hear on NPR on their website easily and quickly. It’s interesting to hear that that ideal level of accessibility exists despite some internal conflicts.

3 Likes

I suppose this makes sense, the way they’re defining “promotion.” If revenue is a function of audience size then urging people to turn off their radio is kind of bone-headed.

1 Like

The fix for this is easy; only allow access to podcasts to members, require member login on the app, and then apportion any donations from that member by nearest affiliate zip code.

NPR doesn’t “require” membership fees because it’s never been possible with radio. Now it is, and for the sake of the programming and the health of the organization, they should start charging, while also supporting the network of broadcasters that allow access for everyone.

Maybe they just need to get creative with where they do their promotion, like when Carl Kassel puts his voice on your answering machine…

No accident – Glynn is a great fan of the show.

(aside: Glynn’s first study-abroad semester was spent in Japan. I remember him telling us about a small town whose mayor gave him the royal treatment --well, they went out for beers, at least – owing to Glynn’s perceived resemblance to Michael Jackson. Glynn’s caricature in the linked The Atlantic article kind of explains why that was such a funny story; -)

1 Like

On the NPR app they let you chose your affiliate because it isn’t always the nearest one. (e.g., you work in a different city and mostly listen to one there.)

Perhaps have the affiliates allocate logins to their members?

2 Likes

NPR has become a staging-house for political asshats determined to shut down opinions uncomfortable to their own.

So much for public funding…?

America.

1 Like

I hate iTunes because it treats users as untrustworthy. At least it used to – to make an MP3 one had to burn an audio disk and then rip it. So, no actual security for the “rightsholder” and a complete waste of time. It’s been years since I’ve been afflicted with an Apple product.

1 Like

NBC: Proud as an Eagle, a Hawk, and other birds of a hue-challenged plumage!