Spotify chooses Joe Rogan over Neil Young

Originally published at: Spotify chooses Joe Rogan over Neil Young | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Neil didn’t have the leverage that he thought he did. 11 million Rogan listeners make the wheels of Spotify turn despite the misinformation.

"Spotify declined to comment to NPR. It has previously said it bans “dangerous false, deceptive, or misleading content about COVID-19 that may cause offline harm and/or pose a direct threat to public health.”

“The company says it has taken down 20,000 podcast episodes for breaking that policy since the start of the pandemic. It has also taken down other episodes of Rogan’s show, including an interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. But Rogan’s Malone interview is still available.”

18 Likes

A shameful choice by Spotify, made more so by the timing of Rogan helping an obviously brain-fried and rambling but still bigoted Jordaddy attempt his comeback as a gateway to the far right (a gateway within a gateway, since that’s one of Rogan’s specialities too).

30 Likes

I never really got into Mr. Young’s music. After hearing this, and his collaboration with DEVO maybe I will give him another try.

I just knew people in high school that liked him, and they were people I didn’t like. Not a good way to judge music.

I wish more people/bands would follow his example and make it worth spotify’s while to pay attention.

20 Likes

Not all is lost. It could be just a start.

Time for other famous acts to step up!

29 Likes

Also Joe Rogan

27 Likes

"And it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, joins him. Neil Young is not the most streamed artist on Spotify. In 2021 Spotify’s most streamed artist was Bad Bunny, followed by Taylor Swift and BTS. Drake is up there too and so are Justin Bieber and The Weeknd. Ariana Grande also ranks super high, as does Ed Sheeran. " -somegossiprag

Guessing that their income from Spotify is considerably higher than Mr Young’s.

18 Likes

I think it would’ve sent a better message if Neil Young withdrew first as a protest, rather than to let Spotify choose. Then it cannot be cast as a rejection.

5 Likes

Kudos to Mr Young, massive amount of respect for making a stand that will cost him a significant amount of money.

27 Likes

I think Neil Young will be ok at this stage in his life but yes, i do admire him using his celebrity for good

26 Likes

This is just many kinds of sad.

I’d gladly cancel my Spotify subscription, but I already don’t have Spotify because I didn’t like it in the first place.

34 Likes

I’ve only recently started using it to listen to podcasts (right now its 99% Invisible) but i can easily use something else to do the same thing since i’m not paying for it.

9 Likes

I think its safe to say that Joe earns more money for them than Neil.

4 Likes

If you use an android phone, Podcast Addict is a terrific player.

8 Likes

So money trumps everything?

Spoken like a certain former president…

15 Likes

I’m having an emotional conflict. I support Mr. Young in this effort, but I can’t forget his past efforts to spread misinformation about audio encoding and reproduction. In the end, I have to support him as Covid misinformation is vastly more deadly and impactful than his anti-reality stance on audio fidelity. I feel there must be a variant of the LOTR “I never though I’d stand together with a…” meme for this.

7 Likes

It’s an absolutely terrible podcast player. There’s a persistent bug where it stops pulling new episodes, it’ll actually revert to it’s last update being a week back. And lock you out of episodes you’ve downloaded for offline listening. You can’t play a downloaded episode without a data connection.

You have to uninstall and reinstall the app to fix it. For 5 days. Apparently this also happens on the website.

It cashes constantly and it’s terribly organized.

When you finish an episode it’ll shuffle/jump to random music even when you’ve set it not to. Never anything from your actual music, just something random from their charts. Always seems to be Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift.

A couple of podcasts I listen to went Spotify exclusive so I’ve been using it for over a year. I hate it so much I’ve stopped using it for music. When those pod casts go platform independent in February I’m just deleting the app.

7 Likes

“After the Goldrush”, and “Harvest” will make you a fan.

13 Likes

I don’t particularly love it so switching to something else should be an easy choice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He absolutely did not. The outcome was decided the moment he threw down the ultimatum.

3 Likes