NPR's listeners rate the top 25 Muppets of all time

Really happy to see Sweetums on this list. He’s my favourite. My mom used to sing me the Sweetums lullaby when I was a kid. I didn’t even know it was a Muppet thing until I was a teen. I always thought it was just a goofy song my mom sang.

4 Likes

if sweetums or ernie aren’t number 1, this list is garbage and people don’t deserve muppets.

3 Likes

The Count at #25 and Elmo made the list, what is wrong with people…

8 Likes

Or Sir Didymus? “Anyone for a game of scrabble?”

It looks like no muppets outside Sesame Street or the Muppet Show (I consider the muppet movies part of the muppet show universe) made the list. Probably an exposure thing? Sesame Street and Muppet show were on network TV and always in rotation, while Fraggle Rock was only on HBO, and Labyrinth was a movie with a limited cult following?

Seems less like a top muppet list than a most remembered muppet list.

4 Likes

Labyrinth was on heavy rotation on HBO while Fraggle Rock was in it’s first run. So, yeah, probably an exposure thing.

4 Likes

NOT INCLUDED on the list? These Martians, Twiddlebugs, and ummm…Ma Nah Ma Nah (?) were fantastic and popular!

11 Likes

Technical Question: Is it a Muppet if it’s not made by Henson and Co., but still winds up on Sesame Street?

8 Likes

Technically that would classify people like James Gandolfini, Maya Angelo and Ralph Nader as Muppets.

9 Likes

i call shenanigans on the arbitrary rules. if Statler & Waldorf had to be treated as a duo, then that should also apply to Bert & Ernie, and Beaker & Honeydew. they all work best off their partner. and the fact that there’s no Muppet Newsguy or Link Hogthrob on this list is a tragedy.

11 Likes

I was going to complain about Gonzo not winning, but he got #2 so that’s fair given that we all knew Kermit would be #1.

1 Like

Although now that Disney+ is streaming the show, things like how Beaker was a later addition to the show become evident. In the beginning, Honeydew tested his awful inventions on himself.

1 Like

i remember those, but i guess i never realized it was before Beaker was created. i just figured that some days he’s just not in the lab :rofl:

1 Like

No love for Marjory the trash heap? Huh.image

1 Like

Those were the days he was in hospital.

5 Likes

My fave, Crazy Harry, also didn’t make the list. So it’s time to…

6 Likes

i always loved Uncle Deadly, too, but he didn’t make the list, either.

4 Likes

He was basically a Skeksis, who also didn’t make the list. He also reminds me of the cover of Jethro Tull’s Aqualung, another plus.

1 Like

Glad to see Pepe on the list. His appearance in “Muppets in Space” was an A+ affair.

“Build a jacuzzi, okayyyyyy”

well, i’ll grant he’s a proto-Skeksis, but he was a much more fully-formed character. and you’re right – for some reason he really DOES remind me of Aqualung!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.