NPR's photo gallery reveals Hurricane Ian's path of destruction

Originally published at: NPR's photo gallery reveals Hurricane Ian's path of destruction | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If only there’d been some kind of warning.

2 Likes

Victim shaming. Cool cool cool.

This is the reality of climate change. These kind of events are becoming more frequent and more severe.

I know that it isn’t feasible for everyone, but hopefully some people will relocate to safer locations that are less likely to face the impact of climate change, rather than rebuilding in a vulnerable location like Florida.

1 Like
3 Likes

Trailer parks always get the short end of the storm stick.

5 Likes

Small kid time, our family used to vacation in Sanibel Island in the fall, with a lot of good memories. Seeing the causeway washed out and the general havoc makes me want to cry :frowning:

4 Likes

Is it me, or had this event seemed a little under-hyped? Unless I’m not reading the tables right, or wikipedia’s full of crap, then this is the deadliest hurricane in FLA’s history (and we’re not done counting yet).
I mean, it’s possible my media consumption habits have changed, or everyone else is too preoccupied worrying about their own lives, or it seems under-hyped compared to all the dead queen rigmarole… am I confused?

2 Likes

Brutal. It breaks my heart to see such destruction.

1 Like

One of the perverse things about disaster aid in Florida is that the state subsidizes the homeowners’ insurance of rich people who build in high-risk coastal areas via property taxes that disproportionately impact people who live in more modest dwellings.

5 Likes

I saw this before-and-after on the WaPo website. Amazingly, Ian seems to have moved a house (or just a roof) into a previously empty space. Weird.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.