Hurricane Ian: Fort Myers suffers catastrophic flooding, while at least one shark spotted in city streets (video)

Originally published at: Hurricane Ian: Fort Myers suffers catastrophic flooding, while at least one shark spotted in city streets (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Damn.

Almost* all Floridians, be safe.

(*Two in particular, not so much.)

38 Likes

That’s not a shark, that’s a Florida real estate developer. /s

28 Likes

Thank goodness the migrants got out in time. And here’s me thinking DeSantis is a totally heartless scumbag!

27 Likes

That shark really gets around!

10 Likes

Sharknado IRL.

Joking aside hope people are able to stay safe.

11 Likes

DeathSantis will begging for our money soon enough.

13 Likes

whoa! that’s a little hammerhead thrashing around in the street!

sharks are cool!

21 Likes

Global warming is a librul scam! /s

14 Likes

That shark’s like “What the hell? How did I get to downtown Fort Myers?”

17 Likes

Both things can be true. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like they got some weather, down FLA way.

7 Likes

And why is the beach closed?

11 Likes

Every time I see one of those “Beachfront Bargain Hunt” shows I think of the recent hurricanes. So many of the beachfront communities they show seem to be built on bits of sand bar that happen to stick out of the ocean. Before long some of those will be submerged in a storm surge and never unsubmerge.

10 Likes

One can also accept Florida estate planner or Florida personal injury lawyer

11 Likes

There seems to be some real reality-denial when it comes to beachfront property… I was reading about some ocean-side cottages going for around a million dollars each in Massachusetts - despite the fact that the houses were only a few feet from the edge of the bluff (and it erodes three or four feet a year). People were willing to pay a million-and-a-quarter dollars for a house, apparently ignoring the fact that would fall into the ocean within a couple years.

15 Likes

For the rich, gratuitous wastefulness is a desired feature. Non-disposable, practical houses that are actually important fixtures in peoples’ lives are for poor people- or rather, for renting out to poor people, because nobody who isn’t rich can actually afford to buy a home any more.

15 Likes

Time share administrator…

6 Likes

too big too fail comes to mind as well. buy a trailer, and good luck getting it replaced. buy a mansion or some beachfront property, maybe you get a nice buyout in a few years

you’d really think they’d realize a sign from god when one happens

steal an election. hurricane. don’t say gay? bigger hurricane

and probably no rainbows after either.

16 Likes

That’s part of it - but there’s also a deep, deep denial going on all over the country about the longevity of coastal properties (and a lot of other climate-precarious areas as well).

2 Likes