NRA released video praising AR-15s just 3 days after Orlando mass shooting

http://www.vpc.org/studies/justifiable15.pdf

the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) conducted
by the Bureau of Justice Statistics. The survey has been ongoing since 1973:

for the Bureau of Justice Statistics see www.bjs.gov Official enough for you?

From the linked paper:
According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and completed violent crime for the fiveyear period 2007 through 2011, in only 0.8 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal ā€œthreatened or attacked with a firearm.ā€11 As detailed in the chart on the next page**, for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, the NCVS estimates that there were 29,618,300 victims of attempted or completed violent crime. During this same five-year period, only 235,700 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used or whether it was fired or not. The number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers who use their firearms in self-defense"

So actual detailed research carried out by an official organisation puts the number at under 50 000 per year, or between 40 and 60 times lower than you state. Iā€™ve linked to a real study: where are yours?

**see the linked paper.
The whole paper is interesting, but sadly people like you wonā€™t read it. To put it bluntly, you are either uninformed, misinformed, or knowingly spreading lies.

19 Likes

8 Likes

Itā€™s pedantic, in the worst way possible. The only way you pretend that there isnā€™t an ā€˜assault weaponā€™ is by willfully ignoring that the country has adopted that name. So you argue that ā€˜assault weaponsā€™ donā€™t exist because there is no technical specification that makes one weapon ā€˜assaultā€™ and another ā€˜normalā€™. There is a reason behind this beyond just being a dick - the gun manufacturers would love for ā€˜assaultā€™ weapons to be technically defined - because they can just change a single feature or spec until the current best seller no longer meets the technical definition and then go on like nothing changed. The term being nebulous and applied by the average person to groups of weapons that are obviously meant to mimic military hardware and run right up to the current ā€˜machine gunā€™ ban without stepping over that line worries them - because without a technical definition any legislation could actually be wide enough to really restrict sales.

8 Likes

Hereā€™s what I donā€™t get. It seems to me that half the argument for continued support of the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment is based on the people being no weaker than the government. That ship sailed long long ago - thereā€™s a laundry list of weaponry the US govā€™t can have that individuals and militias cannot. I understand the underlying argument and it is not without merit. But at this point, comparing what you are allowed to have, and what the government is allowed to have, you might as well be armed with a butter knife at this point.

10 Likes

Including this?

ā€œI guarantee if the Founding Fathers had known this gun would have been
invented, they wouldnā€™t have rewritten the Second Amendment, they would
have fortified it in stone,ā€

Iā€™m not sure anyone can ā€œguaranteeā€ what the Founding Fathers would think of the AR-15 (or any modernity), unless this guy owns a time machine and has actually been back there talking to them. The Founding Fathers didnā€™t have experience with any kind of repeating firearm, and didnā€™t have mass killings by lone nuts on a regular basis, let alone citizens stockpiling naval cannons and enough ammunition to start a small war while boasting they had the Constitutional right to overthrow the government.

I canā€™t ā€œguaranteeā€ it, but I think itā€™s self evident that if the Founding Fathers knew of any of our modern problems they would have re-written large parts of the Constitution to be more clear, including the second amendment, which is vague and can be interpreted to mean we can own nuclear missiles. But history doesnā€™t work that way, the Founding Fathers arenā€™t here, we are the ones who have to live in these times, and we should be interpreting and making our own laws, not trying to decipher the intent of guys who owned slaves and didnā€™t think women should vote.

We have a lot of knowledge they didnā€™t have, why canā€™t we actually use it?

12 Likes

21 Likes

Total bullshit.

Why are ammosexuals such frightened little cowards?[quote=ā€œRichZellich, post:27, topic:80156ā€]
Iā€™m not going to bother to reply to the rest of your nonsense
[/quote]

In other words, ā€œOops, I agreed to this duel, but now I see that I donā€™t have any bullets!ā€ turns around and runs away

18 Likes

Be honest, you want everyone walking around armed at all times, for ā€œsafety.ā€

3 Likes

Or this:

10 Likes

Judging by the number of elderly people I see still driving Buick LeSaberā€™s Iā€™d say a lot of them filed that scenario away in their subconscious and thought it was a durable, dependable vehicle.

2 Likes

The most frequent instances of ā€œdefensive gun useā€ is waving a gun to threaten people you are in an argument with, not actual self defense. There has never been an instance where a mass shooter was stopped solely by an armed amateur. In fact unarmed civilians have stopped more mass shooters than police have.

Imagine what a great nightclub scene that would be.

So in addition to a mass murderer running amok you would have potentially hundreds of innocent bystanders killed in the crossfire by trigger happy amateurs. People who the cops would start shooting at as well since they canā€™t distinguish the mass murderer from the other people joining in.

10 Likes

Damn, you should call the Defense Department and tell them theyā€™re wasting their money on all those M16s, when they could be just as deadly a fighting force with a bunch of .22s.

13 Likes

Some disagree.

Compare the damage an AR-15 and a 9mm handgun can do to the human body: ā€œOne looks like a grenade went off in there,ā€ says Peter Rhee, a trauma surgeon at the University of Arizona. ā€œThe other looks like a bad knife cut.ā€

But this is probably a minority opinion.

4 Likes

Well this turned into a blathering rage-fest rather quickly. No rational debate in this thread. See yaā€™ll next gun debate.

I see a few people making insane claims about how AR-15s are just handy things to have sitting around and not really dangerous at all while everyone else is quoting actual facts disproving them. Rational ā€˜debateā€™, not so much, but I see tons of rational thought countering the irrational.

13 Likes

The NRA and those who agree with them see mass shootings as something we just have ā€¦ itā€™s just the small cost of living in a society where guns are allowed. Itā€™s kinda like ā€¦

• how beach houses sometimes get washed away into the sea ā€¦ should be ban beach houses?
  • how 30k or 40k or 50k people per year are killed on our roads ā€¦ should we ban cars?
  • how some people die in hospitals ā€¦ should be ban hospitals?

The difference is ā€¦ thereā€™s something between banning and doing nothing to improve the current situation To some itā€™s black and white - allow everything we do today, or do nothing. And weā€™ve chosen again and again, do nothing. So job well not done America.

Edit: On top of that, arguments generally go like this. ā€œOh, you want to [ new regulation ] ? That regulation wouldnā€™t have stopped [ mass shooter ] because he didnā€™t [ do whatever new regulation introduces ].ā€ aka ā€“ we canā€™t stop them all, so donā€™t do anything that would have stopped any of them.

9 Likes

My comment was intended to be speculative satire, not intended to be a plan for the future.

1 Like

In my state, you cannot operate a motor vehicle without having it insured.

Is there a reason there isnā€™t mandatory insurance required for guns? Is there a problem with that Iā€™m just not seeing?

13 Likes

Iā€™m sure itā€™s opposed by the NRA ā€“ and by Repubilicans who cater to the ā€œgun peopleā€ of the country ā€“ because it place an restriction on purchasing and/or owning a legal weapon. No Republican is going to vote for something that is going to cost every gun owner in the country $$ each year like that.

But other than the issue of getting i passed, itā€™s (not joking) a great idea. You want a gun that can hurt people (like cars, boats, airplanes, and owning a business can hurt people) then put some $$$ up.

8 Likes

it would seem to me that, if your facts hold, there are 800,000 ā€˜goodā€™ uses by civilians, so are there not also about 800,000 offensive uses by other civilians? Assuming that defensive use implies preventing deadly force with deadly force, and not the shooting of the unarmed.

So, for 800,000 good guys with guns there have to be at least 800,000 bad guys with guns, right? Assuming that every good guy only gets to off one bad guy. And because most of those ā€˜bad guysā€™, so far, have used legally purchased weapons, itā€™s pretty safe to assume they were civilians.

So, with more guns, there will be more bad guys with guns, too.

And so, I can only assume your answer is to make more good guys with guns?

How would you propose to make those? To change the current ratio of offensive and defensive uses of guns by civilians, weā€™re going to need more good guys. Whatā€™s your plan?

3 Likes