NRA's top lawyer was convicted of murdering his girlfriend's mother in 1964

At what rate? Are you more likely to die in a police raid, or from choking on a pretzel? Things cannot be taken out of context - numbers have to be compared at appropriate scales.

[quote=“shaddack, post:59, topic:38055”]
On the other side of the equation, being unarmed does not guarantee not being killed.[/quote]
And by the same token, neither does being armed.

That said, if armed police are in your house, they’re a lot more likely to fire their weapons if they are threatened with lethal force than not.

There’s a whole body of study on the subject of Conflict Resolution that deals with how humans react to things like threats of force. Hint - they typically take threats of force badly.

This is why we have people like negotiators. A desperate idiot with a gun (which is far, far, far more common than a determined mass murderer) responds better to being talked to than they do to having guns pointed at or shot at them, and results in less damage and death.

1 Like

At this moment, qualitative data have to suffice. I don’t have the quantitative ones and don’t feel inclined to look for them.

I’d advise against playing the NRA’s favourite distraction: navel-gazing numbers games, since all they’re trying to do is muddy the waters and have ultimately made up their mind already.

Ask for research and studies conducted by people who know how to do research. You’ll find these people quickly run out of things to say, and eventually revert back to navel-gazing number games to prove their point.

(not that I’m suggesting you don’t already know this)

5 Likes

Yeah no worries. You could be quite right, I’m not arguing based on fact, just on my sense of how I’d fare against a SWAT team I was firing upon.

Or, like people carrying around a Pasteur-esque flamethrower so they could just burn the fire out for you.

2 Likes

There is also the factor of a “global” disincentivization to forced entry. If there is a significant probability (which can be pretty low because people fear irrationally much the low-probability stuff) that an attempt to kick in the door will prompt a hail of projectiles, the perpetrators will think twice and may opt for a less-aggressive strategy.

In an ideal world, this would be a viable strategy.

They are already screaming this and getting the toys. The “threat” has a long way to match them.

This is based on a premise that there is no other way for the cops than to do the SWAT thing even when by far not needed. They are essentially cowards; a little disincentive and they may change behavior rather quickly. They are picking soft targets for a reason.

The Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine quite likely prevented a major war between the superpowers. As odd as it is, I don’t think there was another viable way to cool the bellicose politicos’ hot heads, on both sides. In an ideal world, there would be an alternative…

You can’t compare the US to other places because our social, economical and cultural make up is completely different.

" because reasons "? This is not an argument for business-as-usual. There are factors that mean the US is different, but you’re not as different as you think. The biggest factor is that there are guns everywhere. Most places and most people are so similar that to an observing alien we would be impossible to easily differentiate.

You are for restricting millions of others because of the irrational fear of a very unlikely event

We have no fear of the item

But keep telling me I do.

Edit: I note in my haste to come home I misread your point. In any case your comparison to the TSA is inappropriate since the frequency of terror events combined with pre 911 security measures, that were already pretty good, is low compared to the frequency of gun crime events in the US combined with gun laws that are patchy and inconsistent at best.

Never mind no one ever bombed a plane with a shoe - lets make everyone take theirs off because they COULD.

Hey… Einstein… THIS IS YOUR COUNTRY WE’RE TALKING ABOUT. We don’t have a TSA so… what are you trying to say? You’ve got layers of terrible laws? Yes. I agree.

Moving the goal posts. I gave you legit examples.

legit: for America. Since most of the world agrees your gun laws are idiotic and inappropriate, citing examples from the land of the shooty is irrelevant. Compare yourself to the rest of the world (as I know you’re loathe to do). Even in nations where one can own such weaponry you will not find shooting comps for these weapons. (why?)

It comes down to “guns COULD hurt someone, so no one should have them”

Oh, thanks for charactetising my argument incorrectly. I’ve made clear that my argument it: “guns specifically designed for their ability to kill large groups of things very quickly WILL hurt innocent people in the future (will it be tomorrow? will it be next week?), so no one should have THOSE guns.”

We’re not talking about taking away all guns… but of course that’s how the tinydicks at the NRA set up the discussion, so unthinking people repeat it as if that’s what our side is demanding.

Anyone have something new?

Clearly not you guys.

3 Likes

The case predates Miranda by two years. We don’t know whether he committed the crime or not, because he was never tried so far on untainted evidence. Whole point of the fifth amendment is that innocent people in ambiguous circumstances can keep silent to avoid self incrimination. One reading of the events is that he’s guilty as sin, the other is that the police coerced a murder confession from a minor.

3 Likes

I wonder why that was :wink:

I prefer the term, “marital aids”

Imagine America’s population problems if 32,000 extra people survived to procreate each year. The Second Amendment is a form of birth control; which, given the apparent overlap between pro-gun and pro-life, is ironic.

So how’s that working out for you?

Geeze, what a miserable nation.

Edit: having said that I looked up the bumper fun table of national suicide rates, and the US is only about 0.4 suicides per 100,000 population ahead of the UK… so, I repeat, what a miserable nation :wink:

4 Likes

So, there has been free exchange of DNA between the gun-nut community and the sleazy lawyer community for 50 years, and horrible hybrids like this are probably commonplace. And you thought ebola was bad?

1 Like

Yeah, but no. Have you ever heard the term “arms race”? The SWAT teams do the swarming thing already because of the probability of armed resistance. If, say, HMGs were legal, the police would just up the ante to breaking in with an armoured car as a matter of course, with the possibility of flamethrower support. Or perhaps concrete warhead Hellfires fired from drones using GPS co-ordinates of the wrong bedroom. The authorities can always out-gun the individual; getting into an arms race with them is an ultimately losing strategy.

6 Likes

Interestingly, the new Dodge Hellcat has various horsepower management modes specifically designed to retain usage within the parameters appropriate to circumstance.

They’re of course being over-weeny careful, rather than sensible.

1 Like

[quote=“teapot, post:70, topic:38055”]
" because reasons "? This is not an argument for business-as-usual. There are factors that mean the US is different, but you’re not as different as you think. The biggest factor is that there are guns everywhere. Most places and most people are so similar that to an observing alien we would be impossible to easily differentiate.[/quote]

In a magical world where guns disappeared overnight, you are right you would see a drop in gun deaths, as it would take a lot more time and effort to illegally acquire them. But in reality that will never happen. Most new guns laws proposed would have little to no effect on gun crime because it further regulates channels that criminals do not use.

Your exasperation at all the guns clearly being the reason violence doesn’t stand the test of the data. Since the 90s we have had more guns, and in many place, expanded laws like CCW. And yet crime has steadily dropped. How is that possible? More guns should bring more violence, right? Notably strict areas like Washington DC and Chicago have some of the worst gun crime rates. In short, there is no hard data that gun laws or the number of guns have done anything to alter crime rates. THE REASONS for the violence are still there.

legit: for America. Since most of the world agrees your gun laws are idiotic and inappropriate, citing examples from the land of the shooty is irrelevant. Compare yourself to the rest of the world (as I know you’re loathe to do).[/quote]

I’m talking about American gun violence. How is the rest of the world’s attitude relevant? Respect the culture. If I were say something they do in China was “wrong” because no other culture does it, I’d be labeled a bigot for not respecting their unique culture.

While I don’t know a lot about international shooting, but just looking at rifle matches for IPSC, they are using AR type rifles in Europe, South America, and South Africa. https://www.ipsc.org/matches/calendar.php

Even in nations where one can own such weaponry you will not find shooting comps for these weapons. (why?)[/quote]
You mean like in Iraq or something? Because they are actually focused on killing each other, where most Americans use guns for sport. They probably still use horses for farming and transportation in areas, where here horses are luxury items. You’re point?

Oh, thanks for charactetising my argument incorrectly. I’ve made clear that my argument it: “guns specifically designed for their ability to kill large groups of things very quickly WILL hurt innocent people in the future (will it be tomorrow? will it be next week?), so no one should have THOSE guns.”[/quote]

The problem with that is what people consider “specifically designed for their ability to kill large groups of things” is largely arbitrary. Never mind the fact that when it comes to the most “dangerous” AR type rifles are rarely used in crime.

Come on - you’re better than that.

Ahhh, personal attacks with no facts whatsoever. Nice. I could make similar remarks about “gun-grabbers” and their army of lawyers, but I will refrain, being to civilized to engage in such juvenile name calling.

Once again, you speak out of ignorance. Can you even define an “assault rifle?” Hint: if I wanted an “assault rifle” then I would have to pay at least $10,000 for one and fill out a pile of federal paperwork. I do not know anybody who has one. The are rare. So, you have your wish. Almost NOBODY has an “assault rifle” as it is defined by people who actually know something about guns.

Now, I assume that you are against rifles that are black. So if a rifle has a wooden stock and no handles, it is OK, but if it is black with handles, somehow it is more dangerous? Little hint for you, if somebody is shooting at you, it is the BULLETS you have to worry about, not the handles or the color of the furniture. All semi-automatic guns operate pretty much the same way. Discriminating based on color works about as well for guns as it does for people.

And yet people died, and there was no justice. Was Kennedy under the influence of alcohol? He claims not, but who knows. If it was a DUI, he would have been eligible for years in prison, had he not been rich and powerful.

No, YOUR bias is that he went to work for the NRA. Suppose that he went to work for the ACLU. Would you be so critical? Your negative attitudes are because of your bias against the NRA because they defend a part of the US Constitution that you happen to not like.

Fine, you can do that if you wish. If somebody attacks me or my family, I would prefer to have the option to come out of it alive, thank you very much.

Here is what I know about this doctor:

1. He carried a concealed gun.
  2. He watched a CRIMINAL murder a woman in front of him.
  3. He managed to defend his life, subdue the criminal, and prevent others from dying
    Now, are you really suggesting that he regrets saving his own life and possibly those of others around him? Really? Is THAT what your logical arguments are reduced to? Take a step back and look at what you are arguing. That is so sad.

First of all, guns generally do not have to be licensed. Show me your 1st Amendment license allowing you to speak. Second, this guy has a criminal background, making him ineligible to legally obtain a gun. Didn’t seem to stop him, however. I am just glad that the doctor DID have one. You are right about mental health care, but that is a separate, and much more complex, subject.

And who says it has to be either/or? They are not incompatible. Let me spell this out so that you can understand. You have very little to fear from honest people, with guns or without. Criminal and the insane have proven that they can kill with or without guns. Plus, they have proven that they are willing to break the law to get guns, so the laws burden the honest people a lot more than the criminals.

So, you know know that thing would have turned out exactly the same if Plotts had not had his gun. While you are at it, what are this week’s lottery numbers. Once again, please step back and look at what you are posting here. I cannot know what the Doctor thought about having a gun that saved his own life, but you know how events would have gone if he had not had one. Please.

Once again, the two are not incompatible.

So, having a fire extinguisher or sprinkler in building is a bad idea because everybody has a fire department within 15 minutes. Got it.

No, it is in favor of easy acquisition because IT IS A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT HERE. That is like saying that free speech is there to benefit the book publishers.

Um, nobody has protested regulations that would actually make a difference. Gun locks are required to be included with all new gun purchases. Laws that put a burden on honest citizens but that criminals freely ignore is stupid.

Let me put it this way, Illinois and Chicago have TERRIFIC gun laws by your definition. Yet lots of shooting deaths in Chicago. Their solution? Make USA laws more like theirs. Wyoming does not have such a violence problem, so why is it logical to make them adopt Illinois laws which are so clearly effective. Hey, I have an idea! Let’s find the state with the worst schools and model our national education system around what they do. That will surely make things better, right?

Oh, yes. Everybody disagrees with the FBI murder statistics. Everybody disagrees with how mane people have died in swimming pools. And as to my other statistics, I used Wikipedia, which is a fairly neutral source. If you find any bias in Wikipedia numbers, feel free to edit the page and provide references. The Wikipedia editors appreciate all efforts to improve their site. And I used a number of 270,000,000 guns in the US. This is on the low side of the estimate. I could have used the higher number to make my murder statistics look better, but I was being as honest as I could be.

Really, is THIS the level that you are reduced to? You can find little real fault in my logic, so you attack my numbers, even though they come from government agencies and unbiased sources? You must really be desparate.

Hey, I posted a link about showing you how to go to a Wiki page, grab un-biased numbers, put them into a spreadsheet, and PROVE that more guns does NOT equal more murder. So, your statement is a complete LIE. Prove it to yourself.

EDIT
OK. I read your post about you not believing in having spreadsheets or something like that. Your choice. However, your decision not to verify my facts for yourself do not make them untrue, despite how much you wish it could.
END EDIT

Oh, wait. You are right. No guns = no gun deaths. That is logical. And to all of the people beaten or stabbed to death, your deaths do not count.