Nuculear Science

Continuing the discussion from Florida man arrested in FBI sting over “weapon of mass destruction” synagogue bombing plans:

There’s a whole bunch of perfectly normal, rational, non-stupid people who might pronounce it that way.

I mean “cryogenics” sounds soooo much cooler* when you pronounce is “cyrogenics”.

* yep. I went there.

I wanted to cite below video, but the f****rs do not pronounce it the way I remembered. :frowning:

5 Likes

Oddly enough, I’ve always spoken of the flowering plant, Clematis, by placing the focus on the ‘a’, as in, “Clem-Ahh-tis”, whereas at the garden center last week, they called it, “Clemah-TISS”.

I decided not to call the calvary on them.

4 Likes

Until I was 25 and laughably corrected by my then-girlfriend and parents simultaneously I pronounced those large paintings on walls the same as I did the late Mr. Haggard’s first name.

5 Likes

I rarely pronounce anything correctly – including pronounce…

I often get “Oh, so that’s how you are supposed to say that.” responses from folks…
To which I respond, "No, that is how I say it"
Sometimes deliberate, such as skissors, most utterances tend to be determined by my quantum tongue.

2 Likes

Through a family member I met the captain of a nuclear-powered US Navy cruiser. His pronunciation, on the job: “nukular”. ::rollseyes::

1 Like

Henry?

3 Likes

Flatiron got a rather creative embellishment until I heard it pronounced by someone else. It seems rather straight forward now. Never had an issue with nuclear.

2 Likes

“New-Clear.”

I’ve always wondered, is it really that difficult for some people to pronounce?

1 Like

Only when they’ve been taught wrong all their lives.

2 Likes

Fair point; I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It annoys me too. Sometimes I’ll pull up a Bohr model on my phone, then ask pointedly “Where is the noocyoolus?”

1 Like

Awww. That’s quaint.

2 Likes

Hey, it’s got the relevant parts.

2 Likes

Ah, but I can’t afford to let myself be annoyed by such petty trifles, otherwise it would never end.

Instead, I try to just stop and enjoy the foliage (Fo.Lee.Age.)

1 Like

When I moved back to the US after years in Yorkshire my friends and family assumed I would have picked up a quaint English accent. Instead what I picked up was a fear of opening my mouth and saying anything.

5 Likes

I bet you can pronounce gloucester correctly now though.

3 Likes

Sure, though I prefer double Gloucester.

By the way, w/r to the original example, Jummy Carter pronounced it “nucular”, and so apparently did Edward Teller. The latter probably makes it canon.

5 Likes

I don’t think I ever embarrassed myself by speaking it out loud, but for the longest time growing up my mental voice would always pronounce “quixotic” completely incorrectly, because I knew exactly who Don Quixote was and the word relationship, and had jumped to the logical conclusion that they’d be pronounced the same.

With “nuclear”, I think I unfortunately picked up a habit of pronouncing it at least partly based on the context it’s being used in. I sorta do the same thing with “caramel”, though at least with that one both pronunciations are accepted…

3 Likes

[quote=“Melizmatic, post:10, topic:77494, full:true”][quote=“LDoBe, post:9, topic:77494”][quote=“Melizmatic, post:8, topic:77494”]
I’ve always wondered, is it really that difficult for some people to pronounce?
[/quote]

Only when they’ve been taught wrong all their lives.
[/quote]

Fair point; I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
[/quote]

Why, are you actually the sort of person who can’t suck it up and realise you were wrong?

1 Like

Christ. A couple of years in New England is enough to fix the most egregious issues. We may have tried to change the language by coming up with our own rules for spelling, but we somehow hung on to place names like Worcester, Leicester, etc…

1 Like