Nude man in doorway is not a criminal

Have you ever seen tubgirl? It’s not about conscious fixation.

I saw it/her more than 10 years, for probably less than 1 second.

#MORE THAN ENOUGH / NEVER AGAIN

1 Like

Brilliant.
The penis mightier than the sword.

3 Likes

I disagree. I’m not a physicist, but photons do contain information: their energy/wavelength/frequency. If you disagree that that information does not equal “content”, especially in general conversation (i.e. not a physicist/information theory lecture), then you’re missing the point of my comment (and, frankly, doing it in a way that’s not endearing).

You just made me go look if the flickr pool for Goatse reactions was still up. Yep it is.

1 Like

I was referring to his comments on how women dress and behave, but I think those were also made late in his career.

I’m now wondering if he had a stroke that affected his judgement in the late 1980s, since a lot of his odd behaviour seems to have started then which, given his habit of being outspoken, was highly reported.

But I think I’m going well off topic now.

1 Like

Saw it too. Was meh. What’s the problem?

So that is why all those hitchhikers carry one!

4 Likes

What’s the problem?

Probably something intestinal, as I recall.

2 Likes

What the hell, police. That is all.

Oooh, that hurts. Not endearing! I’m not trying to be endearing, I limit that to my friends, family and perhaps a few other people I would like to know better. I’m trying to analyse your argument and see if it is valid, and so far I disagree with it.
No, you’re not a physicist and your argument is extremely strained. Your idea of information is quite wrong too.
Let’s assume I point a telescope at a star. I receive photons from the star. In order to make sense of them I have to make observations over a period, and relate those observations to other knowledge, such as the concept of three dimensional space, metrics of space and time, and ultimately thermodynamics, spectroscopy, Maxwell’s equations…the list goes on and on. As I relate those observations to more other things, I start to acquire information from the raw data - the observations of the photons. (Note that I can’t even observe a “photon” until I have a model of what a photon is, and a suitable detector. Until I detect it, the photon conveys nothing to me.)
“Content” is used to refer to the meaning of a message. The difference, loosely, is this. The information I acquire from my investigation of star photons is not part of a message that the star wishes to convey. It is knowledge I have acquired. “Content” means information conveyed by a message whose originator wished to impart some particular information - how well I understand the content is a measure of how closely the information I gain correlates to the intention of the sender.

So here we have a nude man and photons bounce off him. It is possible that he intends to convey a message, just as the photons bouncing off a film set into the camera are intended to convey certain information. It is possible that he is just standing there not considering at all that photons are bouncing off him that might be picked up by somebody; the photons have, in this case, no content. When they reach me, however, an assortment of information that I already have is used in the analysis. The information I derive from the photons is largely provided by the model in my head, just as the information I obtain by looking at Betelgeuse is that it is a red giant, and this tells me certain things about Betelgeuse, even though Betelgeuse has no intention of sending me a message.

In short, your whole argument about photons seems to me to be bogus. What matters is intention and interpretation, not the nature of the signal.

If the man is trying to convey a message - information - that we could describe as “contrary to public policy”, and is deliberately allowing that message to be received - there are grounds for action. If he is not doing so and the people getting uptight are doing so because of their imaginations, then the NC police seem entirely in the right. The Canadian law strikes me as stupid because it criminalises behaviour because of how some people interpret it, not on its actual basis.

I don’t have any right not to be offended.

On the other hand, if this did offend me, I don’t think it would that hard to put a stop to it.

For my opening move, I would ask him not to do that.

If my request was denied, I would recruit some attractive women to laugh, point at his crotch, and whisper to each other.

2 Likes

Then by that logic, he wanted me to be hung like a newborn.

Oh, wait…

I have no idea what you guys are on about, all I see is a wave.

4 Likes

Congratulations on summarising my post in one line.

But… is it blue and black or white and gold?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.