Nun's "luck-bringing" vulva sculpture becomes beacon for followers

Originally published at: Nun's "luck-bringing" vulva sculpture becomes beacon for followers | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The Mail is a fascist tabloid., please do not promote their click bait.

7 Likes

“ The statue has swollen in popularity”

Well done, @frauenfelder !

8 Likes

No jokes about names, I have to remind myself.

1 Like

While I’m in favor of all the genitalia artwork and statutes anyone wishes to have around, I have to say I’m having trouble seeing anything associated with this intent as being placed under the tag of Women’s Empowerment.

4 Likes

Yet in other places the representation of a vulva is somehow a thing of hand wringing and shame…

3 Likes

I’m just glad it was intentionally vulvic.

1 Like

If Gawd had wanted people to be nekkid he would have had us born that way!

5 Likes

So if you watch the video it turns out that the Daily Mail’s description is sheer fantasy—shocking I know.

I couldn’t make out everything, but it appeared to be a respectful conversation between local authorities and the “nun” (actually an upasika or laywoman devotee). The authorities were questioning whether these sculptures, which also include a phallus, would offend the sensibilities of the Buddhist community.

She explained that these were not there as a “belief” nor were they to be worshiped. Rather, they were for establishing mindfulness, as a reminder of the process of birth, aging and death.

I don’t think there was anything about abortion or cleansing sins. Thailand has a lot of weird artwork in temples around the place, although i’ve never seen a yoni like this before.

3 Likes

I thought that was Ray’s Mom, Marie:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.