NY sees its first case of Polio in almost a decade, officials fear it has spread wide

Originally published at: NY sees its first case of Polio in almost a decade, officials fear it has spread wide | Boing Boing

9 Likes
18 Likes

Nice going, anti-vaxxers! I wonder what formerly vanquished disease they’ll bring back next.

This pathetic situation, like the return of fascism, is partially a result of the horrors of the past dying out of living memory. I wish there were still enough elderly people around who saw their friends and family end up in leg braces or wheelchairs or iron lungs to slap some sense into these Know-Nothing morons.

33 Likes

There is a very strong anti-vax ethos in the ultra-orthodox Jewish communities in this part of New York state. It was the site of a measles outbreak in 2019 as well. See, e.g.: Link

Sadly, it might take a polio outbreak to cause this and other communities to rethink their position on vaccines. It’s amazing COVID hasn’t already had that effect.

22 Likes

38 Likes

3 Likes

This. Saying “the county” has a 60% vaccination rate is as mathematically accurate as saying the average net worth of the people in a bar is a billion dollars when Bill Gates walks in.

11 Likes

Just like how the vast majority of people infected with the Covid-19 virus end up just fine. But we vaccinate anyway because the benefits grossly outweigh the risks.

If people had the same attitude toward the Polio vaccine back in the day that a lot of Americans have toward vaccines now then we never would have had a prayer of getting that disease under control.

26 Likes

I’d also be amazed, except that we’re talking about religious fundies. Belief in the “plan” of their flavour of Invisible Bearded Sky Man™ will beat empiricism and science every time.

18 Likes

I’m sure Mitch McConnell will be down with starring in a national ad campaign for polio vaccination. Right?

(He had it.)

13 Likes

Just some historical info…

19 Likes

As the immunologist adage goes, “Only vaccinate the children you intend to keep.”

27 Likes

All of those people trying to drag America back to the 1950’s must be well pleased right now.

9 Likes

I used to play paintball with a guy on crutches who was one of the last victims of Polio in the US. :confused: I guess he can no longer say that.

10 Likes

James Fucking Holden

3 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. I grew up next to a large Amish community, and since they are also (typically) anti-vax, the measles would rip through their kids every few years, killing some of them. I can’t say for sure, but I haven’t heard anything about them changing their minds on that issue. I mean, dead kids hasn’t moved the needle on gun control, so I doubt dead kids is going to move the needle on vaccination (no pun intended) for these communities. God’s will and all that.

11 Likes

My grandfather spent more than a year in an iron lung after he contracted polio from holding his cousin’s baby.who had it. He always walked with canes but had a very positive outlook towards life and a reaonant deep Johnny Cash-like voice. I sure do miss rhat wonderful human.

11 Likes

9 Likes

“Remember the Cant!”

8 Likes

And if you want to know why we still have Polio, when effective vaccines have been around for longer than I’ve been alive, blame the CIA and everyone who was involved with this:

9 Likes