NYC: These new MTA subway train displays really suck

Sounds to me like your looking to mod an off the shelf pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses

I think you can get them from a shop somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

3 Likes

I feel that way about stair rails, escalator rails, public door handles, prostitutes, water fountains. I mean, you’ve got to touch 'em anyway, but… eech!

3 Likes

I try not to directly touch anything public with my skin. I’m not even OCD. I just paid too much attention in high school biology class.

I would actually watch this. I’ve always wondered about his inclusion of citrus masks and what that means…

I’d also watch his wife try on a parade of hats.

I agree most of the complaints, I think the economic complaints about “expensive screens” are missing the point. These are not expensive for the MTA. The whole point of the ads, from the MTA’s perspective, is to be able to put these signs in without any cost to them – they may actually get paid to put these in.

1 Like

Ah, but the irony is that if they actually just put the train arrival time as a pip on the screen you’d probably look at it constantly. No New Yorker is going to stare at a screen for 45 seconds to see a train arrival time (that’s like 8 New York minutes!), but they probably would glance at it 10 times while waiting for the train if they know they could get the info they needed every time they looked.

2 Likes

Naw, they have those now, you glance at it on the way in and that’s about it.

Heh, I definitely stare at them again and again.

1 Like

You just need a better book. :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t kill them if they’d sacrifice half of the ad space for the timetables.

As they wouldn’t, my take is that I hope somebody hacks the systems to display something else than intended.

Timetables for MTA trains…only if you have a thing for futility organized into spreadsheets. With the chaos that is the MTA, nothing short of that interactive screen that Denzel uses in the remake of Pelham 1-2-3 gives ypu any useful information.

Plus they need a way to display the information: “the train you see is a N train, but is actually an R train, in the sense that it will go through this tunnel, until we get to manhattan in which case it wil surreptitiously switch back. Don’t worry, though, we’ll mumble all this to you right after the doors close”

2 Likes

It’s amazing how many people missed the point that these cost the riders the MTA nothing.

Not as bad as traditional billboards, which display adds 100% of the time and never show train times!

2 Likes

Those at least don’t keep moving the image.

Like customizing the advertising to you! Brilliant!

Good luck buying a Metrocard from one of the touchscreen kiosks. Unless you want to find a ticket agent and pay with cash… and who knows where that stuff has been?

(Not these kiosks, the ticket machines are also touchscreen.)

The for-the-plebes, street-legal, unhacked version perhaps.

Wrong. The image changes every few months or so.

1 Like

But, if the MTA removed functioning boards and put these in instead, it’s costing the riders a lot of aggravation.

1 Like

They didn’t.