NYC to name streets after Notorious B.I.G., Wu-Tang Clan, and Woody Guthrie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/24/nyc-to-name-streets-after-noto.html

5 Likes

Big Baby Jesus Lane! Make it so!

8 Likes

So…literally street fame?

C’mon LA, you gonna take this lying down or give us the intersection of 2Pac and Makaveli?

9 Likes

You know that one guy who grumbles, “that crap isn’t even music!” I hope it’s his street. I really do.

13 Likes

7 Likes

So, is this the “street cred” I keep hearing about?

5 Likes

Wait wait - did anyone check with Michael first?

THE AMBULANCES MUST GET THROUGH!

4 Likes

well deserved. don’t take this as grousing, but Biggie and WuTang were probably pretty easy sells. No showing for the Bronx? Kool Herc Ave, Bambaataa Street, KRS ONE Boulevard?
For Queensbridge: Nasir Jones Ave, Marley Marl St. or the Juice Crew district?
opening a can of worms here but the Bronx really oughta get something

edit: meant to reply to thread but accidentally replied to JonS.
fucking mobile.

10 Likes

Hell yes! WU TANG actually forever!

6 Likes

Wasn’t Biggie kind of misogynistic and violent, or at least very keen to present himself that way?

I’d rather hear a dirty song about enthusiastic consent, than a song that is clean and polite that’s mostly about "not taking no as an answer"s.

See the difference?

4 Likes

And how about renaming some streets for some of the NYC punks as well - Patti Smith Way… Lou Reed Avenue… Ramones Blvd… Blondie St.? [ETA] I mean in addition to naming them for the people noted here!

NYC has such a rich music tapestry to pull from, too, you could basically rename a large swath of the cities streets after musicians!

11 Likes

Bambaataa Way doesn’t have the same pleasant ring to it that it might have had if proposed two years ago… and if it was proposed pre-scandal; the idea sure as hell would have been scrapped afterwards.

Personally, I’d want to attend a block party at the corner of Grandmaster Flash Boulevard and Grandwizard Theodore Lane.

2 Likes

0fc

I’ll see myself out.

1 Like

Velvet Underground Overpass

4 Likes

That would work better as a subway line. Simply: “The Velvet Underground”, no need for an extra word at the end!

3 Likes

Too mainstream.

1 Like

The powers that be were supposed to have named a bridge for saxophonist Sonny Rollins. Apparently that still hasn’t been accomplished.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.