NYPD gathering evidence in Brooklyn Bridge flag prank

Or they wore hats.

2 Likes

Whaaat? We are the Home of The Free and The Brave (both TM, so donā€™t you go using them!).

Have you not heard our national anthem? We totally play it before every sporting event.

Now, if youā€™ll excuse me, I need to waive my fourth Amendment rights to pass through a highway in Arizona because I donā€™t have time to waste getting my trunk searched today.

5 Likes

Iā€™m of two minds on this.

On the one hand, some folks pulled a great prank and (so far) got away with it. The security apparatus is off its rocker (you know, in case you werenā€™t paying attention) if its trying to bring the full brunt of its force on these jokers.

On the other hand, that a small group of (probably) amateurs could go perform this on a supposedly ā€œwell guardedā€ landmark, and not be found after the fact speaks loudly and clearly of the quality of said security apparatus. Itā€™s a good look behind the curtains of the security theater.

It makes me a little happy that Little Brother isnā€™t all that omniscient.

6 Likes

ā€˜Foreclosure Saleā€™

TIFTFY

ā€¦ and so the Great American Security Pantswetting continues apace.

5 Likes

I would pay to see them pull that prank on the NYPD:

9 Likes

I think your comment wouldā€™ve been better without the link; then ā€˜For Saleā€™ seems to apply to the whole country, rather than the bridge.

1 Like

If only the prank/protest were done as a commentary on the over-arching security state and the crush of massive, invasive surveillance systems that violate our civil liberties.

In which case the jerks over at the NYPD have played the role of clueless villains to perfection.

2 Likes

Who says it wasnā€™t?

At least weā€™re perfectly free to interpret it that way.

ā€˜These colours donā€™t runā€™ā€¦ pff, the US is running scared; jumping at its own shadow and pissing itself so hard the Constitution has disintegrated from being soaked in piss.

6 Likes

maybe my humor meter is off kilter, but im not sure i understand how a gif of a dude demeaning his girlfriend(?) relates to the topic at hand.

I feel safer already.

1 Like

Not your humor meter, perhaps your reading comprehensionā€¦
Try re-reading the line that I quoted from stinkinbadgers.

1. Who said they were bleached American flags vs just white flags? Seems like a lot of work to bleach a flag when no one can tell from so high.

2. ZOMG - it was a harmless prank or protest. The amount of police work being spent on this should be near zero.

4 Likes

cool. glad there was an excuse.

A better question than who did it, is why.

1 Like

Donā€™t the police have better things to than to arrest a couple of pranksters who bleached the American flag, instead of focusing on more important things to like solving murders, rape etcā€¦

See, I understand. Itā€™s about making an example in NY: the rule of law. Laws are the bedrock of our society, and no law, no matter how small, can be ignored.

Weā€™ve got the broken windows theory of law enforcement to help us. The building may be on fire, corporations may own the building and be using it to manufacture Soylent Green, the block may be under constant illegal surveillanceā€¦but that window, by god and country, theyā€™ll catch who broke it.

3 Likes
  1. They are bleached American flags. (Thatā€™s not in dispute.)

2. Agree. The effort should be at keeping the bridges safe(r), rather than persecuting political pranksters.

1 Like

ā€˜Police are looking for 5 suspects wearing backwards capsā€™

The skateboard clue should help them narrow down the search, right? Not many teenagers/20-somethings have skateboardsā€¦

1 Like

In university I want to a bridge to shoot a time-lapse video of traffic. Some rent-a-cop found me after I had only shot half the tape and told me I couldnā€™t shoot there, for national security of course. I managed to stall him for another 10 minutes before he made me leave.

Iā€™m glad they were so on top of security for the pedestrian area of the bridgeā€¦ I mean itā€™s not as if the thousands of cars that streamed past me or the countless security cameras watching the area would have noticed a guy with a camera on a tripod, chain-smoking to pass the time. Doubly hilarious when you know that the week before a friend and I had jumped the fence around the foundations of this same bridge, had found a freaking-long ladder hidden under a pile of rowboats, had claimed said ladder to sit on the foundations of the bridge for an hour while my friend took an hour-long time lapse.

This isnā€™t a small bridge Iā€™m talking about:

8 Likes