Steve Bannon was arrested on a boat, and the U.S. Postal Service was involved

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/20/steve-bannon-was-arrested-on-a.html

19 Likes

I wonder if a postal agent used one of those cans of dog spray they carry on them on Bannon.

27 Likes

Roast him slowly and painfully.
You do not fuck with the Posties.

12 Likes

This is indeed a wonderful thing, but I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before Trump pardons him.

27 Likes

As fact-finding and investigative agents, Postal Inspectors are sworn federal law enforcement officers who carry firearms, make arrests and serve federal search warrants and subpoenas.

33 Likes

Post office inspectors are serious. Also, they even had their own tv show: The Inspectors - Wikipedia

Today, maybe even. Though it strikes me that pardoning Bannon for ripping off MAGAs in a border wall scam might not go over so well…

29 Likes

jw6kF41

50 Likes

You would think that a criminal mastermind would have known enough to take the boat into international waters.

21 Likes

I’ve often wondered what our lives would be like if mail fraud standards were applied to telephone/internet fraud.

15 Likes
28 Likes

Next up: Trump says he’ll pardon someone Tuesday

21 Likes

Good $LC_DEITY, does every single government department have its own police force? (At least this one appears to have a few agents who aren’t sworn to Trump - unless Trump has decided that Bannon needs retaliation beyond simply being fired.)

One of the pernicious aspects of 2020 is “goons in camo suits with no insignia allegedly working for an unnamed government agency.” Was it freaking postal inspectors out on the streets of Portland bashing heads?

(This diffuse structure may prove to be an advantage. If all the enforcement arms were under a single chain of command, that would be much easier to corrupt from the top. In a fevered imagination, the police forces of government agencies with divided loyalties could wind up slugging it out with each other.)

2 Likes

I thought this too, but then my second thoughts reminded me that Trump never does anything unless there’s something in it for him. What’s in it for him to pardon Bannon? I mean, there might be something (even if it’s only “to 0wn the libs”) but he’s damn sure not going to do it out of loyalty for past service.

10 Likes

I’d like to see Bannon roasted on a stick. That said, this has the appearance of being politically motivated. The right is going to claim that the USPS is trying to punish Trump’s cabal. Then again, Trump’s appointed Postmaster General might have dreamt up this plan. He almost certainly would have been aware of this investigation, no?

3 Likes

Yep. Agents of the USPS arrested Bannon.

Well you know what they say, if a USPS mail truck stops at an intersection with a fire truck, an ambulance, a police car, an FBI van, a CIA agent’s car, the Presidential limosine, an army tank, and a border patrol humvee, the USPS has right of way.

15 Likes

I’ll bet the Postal Inspectors didn’t tell DeJoy about the operation until it was already in progress. “President” Bizarro appoints these people specifically to prevent members of the agency in question from doing their jobs properly, and these corrupt scumbags always look out for each-other.

30 Likes

Wait…a badass postal officer and it happened on the high seas? This is the mashup of two of my beloved bad Costner movies I’ve always dreamed of!

24 Likes

So many federal agencies with boats!

And I think we all know what Bannon’s lawyer will advise.

giphy

27 Likes

Wait a minute, is that the boat that photobombed the Crew Dragon landing - recklessly endangering the astronauts and recovery crew?

(I see people embedding tweets here - how is that done?)

4 Likes

And Trumpers still won’t get it.

7 Likes