NYPD gathering evidence in Brooklyn Bridge flag prank

This is exactly why we need 24hr surveillance drones.

easier to hijack the drones to replace the flag than having to climb up?

3 Likes

I have never found any of the police constables in the greater Boston area to be in any way understanding of photographers. Especially ones who use tripods late at night for several hours when any rational terrorist would take their photos during the day in a span of about three minutes.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to compare and contrast the amount of resources going into this investigation versus what the NYPD commits to the average homicide case.

5 Likes

I wondered this too, but they’re definitely bleached US flags:

1 Like

I would rather they devote the resources to fixing how it happened. Coming down on a band of pranksters isn’t going to prevent “real terrorists” from “doing something.”

Although what the risk of “doing something” from the top of the Brooklyn Bridge should be considered too. Any kind of “24-hours” type of WMD horror scenario you might commit in the open from the top of the Brooklyn Bridge is probably easier to commit from a rented office unit nearby - unless the harm is loosing face rather than human or economic destruction.

1 Like

Remember that this is the same police force that executed a man for the crime of potentially selling individual cigarettes.They have some serious, dangerous criminals there.

3 Likes

I’m interested in the message. I wonder if it’s a prank, political statement or comment on racism. Anyone have thoughts on that?

These colors don’t run! But they sure do have a way of fading.

2 Likes

Forgot to add:

Bleached white is perfect: the US has surrendered to fear.

I say, take whatever meaning you find most antithetical to the authorities and run with it.

5 Likes

Didn’t you get the memo?

Post 9/11, sanity is obsolete. The Authoritarians figure they have carte blanche to run amok, and thus anyone who attempts to undermine that authority (primarily champion satirists like these kids) is public enemy #1.

…BTW, here’s a nice epithet for the sort of scumbag authoritarians who’d back the NYPD’s focus here, pinched from the Dead Kennedys’ Holiday in Cambodia: star-bellied sneetch.

2 Likes

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

3 Likes

I’m curious how many open homicide cases there currently are in New York, and how their usages of manpower and resources compare to this incident’s usages.

2 Likes

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

Or… you can hire their nephews: The B-Team.

They have a skateboard.

4 Likes

Yes, it does speak loudly, and what I hear is that it’s impossible to guard all possible targets, so we should stop worrying and start living.

6 Likes

Um, oh, okay, erm, I don’t have much money and I want someone to go after the people making fun of me for my stuttering. How much for the T-team?

This story reminded me of another old prank:

In 2000, a guy climbed up to the top of the City-County Building and put a pumpkin up there! I think the greatest tragedy of our post-9/11 world is not being able to pull pranks like these anymore.

Don’t you mean the T-T-T-t-t-team?

1 Like

Right. You’re on the list!

4 Likes

And THEN we would arrest them, assuming we could find the scoundrels!