NYPD officers assault Associated Press journalist, force crew to stop covering protest

10 Likes

Same; I already made one to MN Freedom Fund this week.

8 Likes

Ideally they continue using the bulky cameras and add multiple smaller always on streaming cameras as a secondary line of recording. This way they can appear to comply by lower the big camera while leaving the smaller cameras streaming.

ETA: When sharing the small cam video they can even use the phasing they use when presenting video taken from social media. “We are now looking at video acquired from someone at the protests that was recording after we were forced to stop recording”.

11 Likes

Its not like most of the Cleveland media want to tell the truth anyway. The Plain Dealer on Sunday morning ran a safety of summer fun activities as their front page story. The Fox and ABC affiliates cut their ground level streams when the cops started attacking on Saturday and switched to an aerial view that obscured who was doing what. Even after watching everything Saturday, they uncritically ran Chief Williams’s statement about many of the protesters being from out of state, when the actual number was zero.

4 Likes

Broadcast TV is making significant strides in that area, though budget concerns have slowed the adoption rates in many areas. Check out LiveU and other implementations of bonded cellular. Couple this with progressively smaller camera bodies, and we’re moving in the right direction.

Right now the biggest obstacles to miniaturization are the physical glass optics, power (batteries), and image format conversion circuitry (taking a crapton of raw data from a large sensor and rendering it into SDI for a wired tether or downconverting it as cleanly as possible into HEVC or another format for wireless transmission). That circuitry takes up space, especially when it comes to degrees of reliability (a cell phone might offer one 9, professional TV gear might offer five 9s). The technical and design considerations are significant, as are design cycles, sales cycles, budget cycles, etc…

5 Likes

I’ve had a monthly auto-debit to the ACLU since the day Trump was elected. Literally. That’s what I did when I heard.

I hate being right sometimes.

12 Likes

Samesies.

8 Likes

Yesterday there was a demonstration in my town that I attended. Perfectly peaceful and the police were definitely taking a hands off approach, with just two cops (not in riot gear) hanging out in a far corner of the park. After about 20 minutes there were too many people to allow for any social distancing so I went home and did my donation to ACLU.

The demonstration was well attended considering the size of my town but it seemed pretty anti-climatic. No creativity and not much variation in the chants, so people eventually tired of them and weren’t chanting as enthusiastically as they otherwise might. I certainly can’t criticize anyone else for that because I couldn’t think of any awesome chants myself, but it seems like our generation is sorely in need of some good new protest songs or something.

There’s been zero damage or looting/rioting in my town so far (it’s almost disappointing how incredibly civil and polite the demonstrations have been) but the local Walmart was taking no chances. They closed early for the day and erected a big barricade of stacked shopping carts to block the entrance. Which is good! People should avoid shopping there anyway.

7 Likes

Yeah, the husband said yesterday it feels like we’re living in bizzaro-land with curfew alerts on the cell phones, “we’re still cleaning up” as an excuse, and tiny protests all over neighborhoods that stay peaceful. The grandson reported that some Lakewood police took a knee and hugged protesters at last night’s demonstration, but no reporters were there to see it.

No news is good news, right? /s

9 Likes

Now they are shooting paintballs at people in their own homes. I have a feeling that someone, somwhere in uniform is going to get tagged with more than a paintball if this turns out to be more than an anomaly. That will then escalate this further than anyone but psychos want.

Painballs fired at people with no goggles is not nothing.

2 Likes

It’s already been escalated further than anyone but psychos want.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/police-protests-use-of-force/index.html

9 Likes

Reporters were there, but they must have decided that their footage from behind a line of riot cops wasn’t worth using. I didn’t catch which network it was, but they were filming from the Dairy Queen lot. The curfew worries me because the cops were violating the law to keep reporters out, which makes me assume they were up to some form of malfeasance that will take us time to find out. We’ll see how they act at events the next few days.

5 Likes

it reminds me of edison carter’s giant camera from max headroom with a big red light on top to show it was recording.

at one point, in the midst of filming some riot cops, the signal was cut by the network, the light went off, and the cops beat him into a bloody mess.

it was supposed to be fiction.

mh1x04-sum-edison-camera

8 Likes

Absolutely- the press bears a lot of responsibility here. Towards the end of his tenure on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart focused almost entirely on that. The current press’ obsession with creating artificial balance in every situation, and continuing to entertain ludicrous politicians as though things are normal is making it so much harder to fix anything. The press seems to be confusing “objectivity” with “equal credulity for everyone”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.