NYPD shoot at unarmed man, hit bystanders, charge man with assault for making them shoot

It’s not quite as bad as Cory’s take on it. He wasn’t just lurching through traffic, he was throwing himself in the path of cars while while running away from police and ignoring their orders. He was unarmed, but the police were responding to what they thought was a man pulling out a gun from his pocket in a public area after already causing a danger to the public. The cops were placed on administrative leave and are under investigation. He’s also not necessarily facing 25 years in prison, he’s being charged with assault, “a felony carrying a maximum sentence of 25 years”. They aren’t huge differences and it is still a sickening example of the overuse of deadly force, but they are examples of sensationalisation of an already serious story.

One indisputable (and pertinent) fact that nobody here seems to have pointed out is that he’s black.

It’s just that this is typically code for giving these officers a couple weeks of paid leave, followed by a full exoneration.

1 Like

This is fucking cop bullshit. It’s part & parcel of the ‘us & them’ thing CREATED by the cops. I’m not a fan of our cops in the UK (or any cops, TBH), but they’re not scared to tackle someone to the ground. ‘Blood borne diseases’? Haddaway and shite, man.
(edit to say I’m not pointing that spittle-flecked rant at you, but the bullshit reasoning that leads to tasers as ‘appropriate force’)

“Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.”

1 Like

Passionately and eloquently put.

None of the statements is necessarily untrue, but just about every statement could be untrue, or at least misleading, given what little we know. It’s OK, this isn’t a news site and I don’t expect unbiased coverage from every report, but I wanted to point out that there are a lot of Cory’s presuppositions in the summary.

As far as the meaning of “administrative leave with investigation by the DA and internal PD inquiry”, yes, maybe. Probably. Who knows. We’ll probably never find out in any case, but I’m not going to assume that this is another case of administrative holiday.

Incidentally, why can’t the women who were wounded pursue charges against the NYPD if they are standing behind the two officers?

Only not always, clearly.

The shield laws are very nearly impenetrable. If you mean criminal charges, the women would have to show that the officers were engaged in activities outside their purview - ie that they were shooting at the guy (or the women) in order to commit murder, rather than to subdue the man. Likewise with civil lawsuit against the individual officers.

I don’t doubt that these ladies will receive compensation, but that will come from an insurance company, or the city.

Why is that pertinent? I think his behavior had more to do with what happened rather than his skin. Even though NYPD does harass blacks with their Stop and Frisk program, I don’t think that necessarily makes them more prone to shoot someone or not.

[quote=“ActionAbe, post:44, topic:15752, full:true”]
Only cops can make cops look bad.[/quote]no.

Meanwhile, for all the talk about culture, people are still responsible for their own actions. Don’t believe me? [/quote]show me an officer that isn’t responsible. oh wait, i might not believe you.[quote]Ask a cop who arrests someone for any crime.
[/quote]ok, ask them if those hadn’t been on duty police, what if they were military or civilians, firing recklessly (in public) at an unarmed target.[quote]I think my Asshole-Meter just exploded. Make an actual point, don’t be tiresome.[/quote] thankyou to everyone more responsible than the shooters in this example.

don’t make me guilty. funny, they haven’t.

Ah, I shoot 7.62x25, of which I have 13 unopened 1260 round cans. At my current rate of shooting, I’m good for at least 15 years. Got a deal, ~ 6 years back: 10 CASES of two cans per case, at $110./case. So I haven’t priced pistol ammo in YEARS.

Found something you might want to read. First sources from police and first responders talking about their jobs - You can decide if they are all jack booted thugs.

It’s like that sad case during the government shutdown of the woman who drove at a police roadblock near the Whitehouse - the police aren’t geared up to deal with people ‘acting out’ or having a nervous break down.

These things kill. They were advertised as non-lethal, they killed people, that’s why they are called less lethal, because they are not non-lethal. They are advertised as less than lethal, but that is a lie.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Bugs with the new BBS system

They bloody well ought to be, though. That’s their job.

This part needs to be repeated over and over. Whenever I come across a list of the most dangerous jobs, ‘police officer’ never ever cracks the top ten.

The next time you hear someone yammering on about cops ‘putting their life on the line every day’, you need to speak up and point out that farmers, construction workers, loggers, fishers, and even drivers/sales workers have far more dangerous than what cops do.

3 Likes

Why are you shooting yourself?

1 Like

They are less lethal than pistols, rifles, and shotguns. People get tased and pepper sprayed and tear gassed for training. So they understand what it does, and how to cope with it. They don’t do that with guns.

Not saying they aren’t capable of being deadly… but vastly less deadly than being shot.