NYPD union sues over officers' rights to use steroids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/01/nypd-union-sues-over-officers-rights-to-use-steroids.html

8 Likes

Police using something that could cause anger issues? Damn straight it needs to be run by the employer in this case.

18 Likes

Is their steroid use a doctor-prescribed healthcare treatment?

10 Likes

When the issue was raised in court (and was it raised in court, yes?) what was the response to a known side-effect of steroid use being a significant increase in violent behavior? (just one of many rather unsurprising studies)

6 Likes

There are legitimate medical uses for anabolic steroids. HRT for trans men. Hypogonadism in cis men. Certain cancers, and even AIDS. I hate to support the police in anything, but I also believe very strongly that individual’s healthcare is something that should be between them and their doctor. I am ok with testing and making an officer verify that they have a prescription, if they test positive, but beyond that, it’s really not the employer’s business. I think they have a strong case here. I think this is overreach by the city.

10 Likes

Yeah, there’s some messy complications here. The original law already stated that the officers needed to at least have a prescription. Like you say, there are valid medical uses for anabolic steroids. That being said, it’s also totally reasonable (to me) to believe that a police officer could simply ask their doctor for a steroid prescription simply because they want the performance enhancing benefits, and that some doctors might oblige. Even in that situation, though, I don’t particularly like the idea of bosses having the ability to overrule medical professionals (especially when those bosses are also cops).

5 Likes

Yeah I would say if they think there’s a serious problem with a doctor, or multiple doctors, prescribing anabolic steroids for non-legitimate medical purposes, then do something to deal with that problem. Set up a sting. Get the state legislature to pass a law strengthing rules against doing that. There are several things they could do to address that issue that don’t violate peoples’ right to privacy.

6 Likes

IANAL so i have to ask… isn’t this something that should be negotiated and amended into the union contract?

i don’t want to defend the police union here, but they might have a case.

One thing that never happens: cops getting tested for drugs after their actions cause someone’s death.

5 Likes

If police were accountable for their actions, then this steroid prohibition wouldn’t be necessary. But (at best) the city (and therefore taxpayers) are accountable instead. I agree that there are legit uses for steroids, and that is why it needs to be cleared with the police doctor.

But let’s be real: even if this steroid prohibition happens, will it have any effect? Are we counting on the police doctor to enforce this thing? It is another form of self-policing, and we all know how well that is working out.

4 Likes

While I agree in principle, I still feel like there should be an exception for public service.

Having governmental authority to inflict violence should come with extreme transparency, and I think sacrificing personal privacy as a requirement for wielding that power is reasonable (and I’m including politicians in this, as well). Public service should feel like a burden worth taking on for the greater good, not a position of power. (I’m particularly irked by the supposed “honor” of being an LEO, like in its current form the job is anything but a license to harm)

If they don’t like it, they can go into private security; government work is not just some job.

(Gah, it’s so hard to resist from adding more and more to this little rant of mine. Whatever. ACAB)

5 Likes

It gives the city a way to fire officers. That police officers desire these drugs and see taking them as helpful in any way (that’s not a medical need) is troublesome. By instituting a policy, the NYPD looks like it’s trying to work around the the union.

1 Like

This new policy won’t solve the problem of doctors prescribing steroids inappropriately. This will however crackdown on officers that fail a drug test due to illegally sourced steroids getting a doctor to say that they gave a prescription after the fact. And I’m guessing that this new policy means that the NYPD at least thought that was a problem.

4 Likes

Probably Walmart would like to know if an employee is taking a benzodiazepine and driving a forklift.

Since that’s a DoT banned drug, I would say, yeah they should know.

ETA: For sales floor, janitorial, manager? Nope.

No.

1 Like

They should know, but they shouldn’t get medical approval of the prescription, which is what NY is asking for with this policy change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.