NYPD: We can't tell you how much cash we seize because it would break our computers

(Trigger warning: geeks & bureaucracy in eye-glazing levels)
I hate to sound like I’m giving them an “out” on this, but I have seen some reporting systems used by Federal land agencies. I can imagine that their incident reporting system is probably a group of forms each with about 100 fields defined as char(255) with names like “Text001”. At the end is probably a field titled “Notes” used to store output from an RTF field as a blob. Of course there would be a single, flat table used for every different type of form.

The “design” would be the culmination of months of deliberation by people who attend meetings for a living who decided that they just wanted the computer to have screens that look “just like the paper reports” so as not to confuse their clerks.

6 Likes

large number:small number

If the police can’t keep track of how much money they have, wouldn’t a defense attorney be able to argue that their sloppy record keeping may also have tainted or lost evidence of his or her client’s innocence?

12 Likes

They’re the largest organized armed group.

The largest group is probably the general population.

2 Likes

Take me and one decent data scientist and we’d have text analyzers running over those columns and rows so fast it would make your head spin. And it would be running just fine on a 266 MHz Celeron (over clocked to 400 of course).

(Yes, I am being flippant, but I was raised on Perl and LAMP. Parsing text and wrangling databases is what I do on a weekend for fun. Which reminds me…)

16 Likes

You have weird definitions of fun.

12 Likes

My first thought as well.

My thoughts: If the city brings your stuff to court, can you hire it a lawyer and argue it isn’t competent to stand trial, perhaps by virtue of mental defect (aka not having a mind)? Actually, if they seize your stuff, do they even notify you if/when they bring charges against it?

3 Likes

…or in another universe could not tell how much crash they compute make

Serpico Wept.

2 Likes

…and?

If it hasn’t already been done: I call bullshit.

Civil forfeiture is a crime against humanity.

To protect and serve whom?

5 Likes

14 Likes

Indubitably.

3 Likes

They often seize items as soon as someone is arrested or suspected of a crime, regardless of if they are guilty.

In many cases, they will not notify you about your stolen belongings if you are found innocent or the stolen property does not pertain to the crime. You have to go out of your way to get them back. This can result in more court appearances.

From what I understand, they do not keep tabs on how much money they steal, so it is rare to get all of your money back. In many cases, hiring a lawyer to get back your stolen property costs more than the value of the property itself, so many people don’t even bother to try and get their stuff back.

10 Likes

Reading about this recently, but these hand held scanners are the spawn of Satan.

5 Likes

It’s been covered by BB some time ago.

2 Likes

Ta bud wasn’t here then, humble apologies!

1 Like

No problem. Just wanted to let you know that BB writers aren’t ignoring the issue.

And you’re correct, those cops scanners are Satanic.

3 Likes

'); DROP TABLE PENSIONS; –

10 Likes

I think @japhroaig and I have similar definitions of fun. :laughing:

The normal definitions of fun aren’t very fun for me.

8 Likes