NYT declares "bullet" killed 14 year old girl, not the cop that fired it

Originally published at: NYT declares "bullet" killed 14 year old girl, not the cop that fired it | Boing Boing

21 Likes

Of course, only cops get the magic self-firing bullets. Around the country, brown people, in contrast, have the magic disappearing gun seen only by cops before self-firing bullets self-actuate and save the cop from the danger of their insidious brownness.

/S

55 Likes

But, but, guns don’t kill people! People kill people! (Am I doing this right?)

66 Likes

Are we going with ‘Thin bullet line’ or ‘Bullet lives matter’ this time around?

11 Likes

Won’t somebody think of the bullets?

20 Likes

We are supposed to just accept that shopping in the store may result in dying of a stray bullet but must use all force necessary (and then some) fighting mental health case clobbering people with a bike lock.

6 Likes

This was a bad shoot all around. I understand they had conflicting reports on if the suspect had a firearm or not. And I am sure the sight of blood from one of his victims is unnerving. But they did everything wrong.

In a shopping area where there is a good likelihood of other people in the area, you have to be very careful when using a rifle because of over penetration. They didn’t confirm the presence of a weapon or start with deescalation techniques. They went in gung-ho and someone completely uninvolved became a victim because of it.

Most likely there will be no charges because there wasn’t anything explicit in the police procedure he did wrong. There hopefully will be a successful wrongful death civil suit. It would be nice if that prompted change in police procedure, but it probably won’t.

Beau had good analysis of the event.

10 Likes

I think they’ll find, once they’ve had a chance to look more carefully, that she was killed by her heart stopping sometime after she was hit by a bullet, and it’s too soon to draw any sort of cause and effect inferences from the data on hand.

hammerhead

Maybe the police should game out how they would have responded to the initial situation if firearms weren’t available. I mean, I’m sure there would be a range of possible outcomes, but I’m also sure that most of them would have a lower body count than “shoot up a public place full of civilians.”

26 Likes

De-bullet the police.

13 Likes

Of course the police “Union” is behind this. At this point, the only thing that police unions are really there for is to protect reckless and crooked cops, and make sure that it’s almost impossible to get rid of even the most corrupt of them. That, and ridiculous stunts like this one.

10 Likes

Also she wasn’t killed, she was just suddenly no longer alive.

12 Likes

Jones gets paid leave while it’s the bullet that got fired. I’m sorry.

6 Likes

She said he had never before been disciplined for a police shooting…"

That is a very, very, very low bar.

20 Likes

This is one of Beau’s older videos that, I think, really applies to this sad situation.

5 Likes

Very true. I’ve been noticing it in our local paper especially, recently, in regard to driving accidents. “Mr. J suffered minor injuries after his vehicle drove into a utility pole,” and such.
Seeing it in a paper like NYT with a presumably bigger budget is disappointing. Seeing it used in stories like this tragic case is maddening.

15 Likes

What NYT has done here is disgusting. The public should be outraged by the death of both people, the girl and the suspect. The police acted completely inappropriately, and two people are dead as a result.

23 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but does anyone have any doubt as to what happened when they read this headline? No one thinks the bullet was wrested from his grasp and used by someone else to kill her, or that it snuck away on its own.

They could have been more direct—“Officer who shot and killed…”. I’m sure there’s some way they could have tortured the language to be less direct—“Officer involved in officer-involved shooting…”

3 Likes

The teenage girl died. You sure that’s funny?

7 Likes

I have no doubt he did not intentionally kill the teenager. Still I have no doubt he fired his weapon recklessly because he most certainly did kill her with out intending too.

5 Likes

That’s the thing, though. Maybe not about this particular article, but about police militarization and ineptitude in general, yes, lots of people doubt that. And don’t believe the real effects it’s having on people’s lives.

14 Likes