NYT has 2 decades of Donald Trump's taxes, he's in massive debt and paid no federal income taxes for 10 of past 15 years

26 Likes

Perhaps one of these crooks will connect him to something:

18 Likes

Trump Calls NYT Reporting On His Taxes ‘Totally Fake News

I guess that means he’ll finally be releasing those tax returns to clear all this misinformation up then.

39 Likes

Probably nothing, but what it will do is drive Donnie off-message for the next week or so. He’s not going to be able to ignore this, and every rage-addled tweet and rambling interview he gives to counter the story will be one fewer opportunity for him to make his closing argument.

33 Likes

Mitnick might be that good–but did Trump actually listen to his advice? He’s got to be a nightmare as a client.

19 Likes

The assumption that he tells them the truth or all of the story is unsupported as well.

12 Likes

So he purports to support the troops, and is willing to spend immense amounts on the military in the name of the US taxpayer, but is not actually contributing anything himself … but he’s really rich, right?

What I want to see is Joe going “So we know that the current president is in a vast amount of debt … what I want to know is, who has the president by the balls. Mr. President - who has you by the balls?”

30 Likes

$70K deduction taken for “hairstyling for television.”

If thats what his scalp looks like after spending more than the average American family’s annual income on it then just imagine what it looked like before.

33 Likes

Yeah, I like that the NYTimes is serializing the reporting.

Stay tuned kiddies! More to come.

25 Likes

i’m not sure that taking $26 million in payments to “outside consultants” as a business expense is legal when your “outside consultant” is your daughter who is objectively not outside the trump organization.

28 Likes

No one has yet mentioned (and NYT was also pretty effective at burying this lede) the fact that the Frump being due to be called on over 100 million dollars in debt during his second term represents a massive national security risk.

34 Likes

I think that’s as simple as forgiving standing debts. If I were Putin, I would have been on a shopping spree for the last four years paying top dollar for Trump debt - just out of principal. If he can get the Russian treasury pay for it (and I have a feeling that he can), it’s arguably a solid investment for the Russian people and the Russian state. Indeed, by doing so, Putin would be doing much better by his country than Trump is doing by the US.

26 Likes

Annnd that is any different than today or a year ago?

Yes, he is.

10 Likes

Leave Donald alone! The poor guy can’t even afford a mattress to pee on…

15 Likes

He needs to be pushed on this in the debate- he’ll go off the rails and rant for a half hour.

35 Likes

Well, if it can make it stick in the American mind just how much fucked up bullshit you can do legally, and put a Trump brand on those shenanigans, it might actually become politically feasible to close some loopholes. That would be a silver lining, even if he does slip out from under these disclosures, legally speaking. Kind of like the “quiet parts loud” of the tax system. He’s already brought a glaring light on almost every other gross underbelly of America…

22 Likes
65 Likes

Or it looked about the same as it does now and there is no amount of money that can improve him.

9 Likes

The difference is that it offers concrete evidence of a major point of potential leverage, as opposed to just speculation about personal interests and intents.

11 Likes

Two things: they won’t believe it, and unfortunately despite his financial distress pre-presidency, post-presidenct is pretty much a blank check. Even if he looses in November he is pretty much guaranteed cushy grift for however much longer he lives. He’s been avoiding any personal consequences for his financial failures for decades now by stiffing vendors, creative accounting and general con artistry and he is now guaranteed that the jig will never be up.

4 Likes