NYT: If you see gibberish on a computer screen, it might be terrorist encryption software

One short paragraph in a long article-- but it shouldn’t have been included because any reader would want clarification that isn’t forthcoming.

1 Like

^@$JKSFJK ^^(@^ DKJFAKLDFJ?AKL?JA ^@@^@@^@

wSDJFSKFJWKTJ@KSDFJA KSAJR ^$@^^@$^@$^*MVMVMMV

SLDJFWLJAD ISIS ADSJLADJA ISIS

3 Likes

There is another digital divide.

The first one is about access to computers and the Internet, and has to do with money.

The second one is this idiocy, where anything not pictures/facebook is terrorism / hackers / scary. Some people have no perspective at all. It must be really frightening to live in their minds. What happens if one of their kids wants to build a website or something? Do they get sent to a reeducation camp?

14 Likes

Must be the wrong screenshot, all I see is a cup of pudding.

5 Likes

The coming war on all difference at all, no matter how harmless. Brought to you by authoritarianism borne of fear.

8 Likes

It’s far more likely some jerk in the other room picked up the phone, ruining his modem’s connection.

“MOOOmmmmmm, I was playing online!!”

5 Likes

Sorta, they get shown a series Infographics across 10 half-pages.

7 Likes

This reminds me of when I was on someone else’s machine, and opened up Notepad to make some quick notes in very basic HTML (why I was doing it that way is too long for the scope of this comment board). An acquaintance walked by, saw the screen, did a double-take, and later commented, “It looked like you were coding or something!”

The idea that a person she knew could type in formatting tags off the top of their head was just too much to conceive.

It really bugs me that out of all the Big Lies out there, the idea that all coding/tagging/command-lining is highly technical, esoteric, and dangerous is one that’s so widely accepted.

18 Likes

5 Likes

Goddamn kids. Back in my day that’s how a computer was supposed to look.

That aside, better go tell all the users that our best-practices-full-disk-encryption makes them look like terrorists when they boot up their laptops.

16 Likes

Then I am told I am wrong when I say that the plebes are dumb.

There’s a lot of evidence for that statement.

And when I don’t want to comply with the rules that appease the dumb masses, I am a criminal, or at least a suspect.

2 Likes

All I see is IED, dirty nuke, nerve gas…

4 Likes

9 Likes

4 Likes

Oh my God, I just opened up the Console application on my Mac and it displayed screen after screen of terrorist encryption. Doesn’t that prove that Apple – founded by a Syrian refugee – has always been on the side of the terrorists?

14 Likes

Yes! This exactly what’s meant when nVidia says you need to buy a GeForce, Quadra, or Tesla to use CUDA!. Otherwise you can’t use MovieOS

3 Likes

Why did it have to be in CODE, STEVE?

7 Likes

I think they just accessed Breitbart.com by mistake.

Wait, does this make me a terrorist?

How about using Vim on a train?

8 Likes