Watch TV's stupidest "hacking" scene ever

Originally published at: Watch TV's stupidest "hacking" scene ever | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Before clicking on the link I was saying:
“It’s the ‘two people on one keyboard’ clip, isn’t it?”

Yep, I was right.

44 Likes

Hacking Johnny Lee Miller GIF

18 Likes

Considering how many stupid hacking scenes there have been on TV, I was doubtful that this could be a contender for the headline title. I stand corrected.

31 Likes

I remember that one. I bet the screenwriter brags about it at parties.

16 Likes

“It’s a Unix system. I know this!”

33 Likes

200-1 2

15 Likes

The demographic that likes this show is particularly unlikely to be tech savvy.

14 Likes

That show is just someone putting corkboard memes from a geriatric workforce to film.

5 Likes

As annoying (and possibly intentionally absurd) as the double keyboarding was, to me, the worst part is they wrote the scene so that the smart kids are just engrossed and naive while the boomer gets to come in and save the day with his goofy folk wisdomesque approach.

And usually you wouldn’t find out you’ve been hacked until it’s over so he wouldn’t normally have an opportunity to show that his analog approach to the problem was so effective.

19 Likes

95% of all hacking scenes are bullshit, though this one is particularly bad for the dueling keyboard stuff. You want to see good hacking, watching Mr. Robot, or Sneakers (other than the McGuffin, Sneakers was pretty good hacking).

30 Likes

Why does “hacking” always pop up a flurry of text windows?

Sharing port 6000 on the Internet? There’s your problem!

9 Likes

At least that movie had a killer soundtrack.

6 Likes

Hacking Samuel L Jackson GIF

17 Likes

I had the same thought as well.

Here’s the gif for those that don’t want to watch the video:
double keyboard hacking GIF

I actually liked NCIS for a time but those days are long past. Pauley Perrette (the woman in the video) has also said that the NCIS set was very hostile and she was bullied repeatedly by star Mark Harmon which eventually drove her to leave the show.

(ETA: Clarified slightly.)

25 Likes

It’s been obvious for generations that most screenwriters have no idea how hacking works, but this scene still stands out since it implies that at least one professional screenwriter had no idea how keyboards work.

Was the whole script written in longhand? Perhaps in crayon?

18 Likes

elvis presley laughing GIF by Hallmark Channel

7 Likes

I couldn’t quite make out why the scene was bad, so I shouted “enhance!” at my phone until it became clear.

31 Likes

57 Likes

Maybe, like me, the writer grew up playing Summer Games on a computer. All the races came down to how fast you pressed the keys, and my brother and I would often pound away on the keys at the same time like this. Good thing our parents didn’t know we were apparently learning to hack

24 Likes