Watch TV's stupidest "hacking" scene ever

To be fair, several years ago I set up two keyboards on the same machine, one USB and the other Bluetooth. That way, if two people were working on something together we didn’t have to pass the keyboard back and forth. It was a big help.

5 Likes
1 Like

Why didn’t you just both type on the same keyboard at the same time?

5 Likes

Are you forgetting about Kung Fury?

18 Likes

I doubt the screenwriter put in directions that they should both be typing on the same keyboard. This was probably an invention of the director and set designer. It would be funny if there were two screenwriters working together who did put this instruction in.

1 Like

“I’ll create a GUI interface using Visual Basic”

17 Likes

And NCIS’s nod to diversity – a woman with bangs. (no shade intended toward any of the performers; they’re just professionals doing their job: hitting their marks and saying their lines)

2 Likes

Hacking is boring. Mr. Robot probably got it right more than any other TV Show, and much of what was depicted went over the heads of most of the audience. (“I own all of the Tor exit nodes. All of them.”)

The act of hacking (breaking into a system, or just coding, both are valid uses of the term and with good reason) is long and arduous, filled with muttering and staring at cryptic writings on the screen, with occasional bursts of typing. In a case where a heist is pulled off at lightning speed, it’s on the order of hours or days still, involves many actors and is usually state sponsored. Buncha people sitting in an air conditioned office 9-5ing it, from what I hear, often college students or military.

@woolybugger has aneurysm

13 Likes

Hot Millions (1968). The computer stuff is ludicrous - but the social engineering is top notch.

2 Likes

Only the best hacker keyboards have a Break key!

11 Likes

THANK YOU! I was going to comment that keyboards don’t work like that; geez, do they have a double-qwerty keyboard or some such insanity?

5 Likes

colbert-calculator

13 Likes

So much to love here. Obviously, the double keyboard nonsense. But also the technobabble. And then that little bit of anti-intellectualism at the end: “Just unplug it, you big dumb nerds.”

Except you unplugged the terminal, jackass, not the server, so the hacking is still going on. You just can’t see the . . . um, telltale popups that always occur with hacking, apparently?

“I’ve never seen code like this!” What does that even mean? Is the hacker using Brainf*ck? (Actually, that would be very cool)

11 Likes

Not hacking, but my favorite “bad computer” trope is when a character searches for something and the first word they type into the search bar is “find” (e.g. The Negotiator).

1 Like

this is amazing, way better than the original post

1 Like

I think they just steal the scripts that are submitted by unknown writers.

To be fair, she says something like “They’re only going after my machine,” the implication being that the rest of the network is vulnerable only after hers is fully compromised. It still doesn’t really make sense in real world terms, but I suppose unplugging is a logical tactic in that cockeyed context.

4 Likes

Pffft. If she’d have had a 16-core with a 10 meg pipe, we wouldn’t even be here.

2 Likes

The keyboard pounding realism is amazing.

7 Likes

Or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and the sequels).

4 Likes