Watch TV's stupidest "hacking" scene ever

Doofuses ex machina

3 Likes

Jinkies, I need to watch Sneakers again sometime. I never realized so much of the score was unreleased!
https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110432&forumID=1&archive=0

In the meantime I would like to suggest:

6 Likes

Yeah, pulling the cord will make the ransonware go away. Boomers know all, because!

2 Likes

A keyboard with a BREAK is broken or lazy?

As long as you don’t turn it back on again.

2 Likes

One of the few realistic hacking scenes in a film.

3 Likes

That scene was total bullshit.
For it to be realistic, you’d have to have at least two screens, and one screen absolutely has to be a map of the globe showing the real time advance of the bad thing that’s happening.

14 Likes

I see these so I made this.

Sorry my initial post was the wrong episode

Haven’t seen those, but the hacking described in the original books was painfully inept.

2 Likes

That’s why everyone needs a firewall with Sound Effects!

Kazowie2

I think I’ll do a rewrite. Drop it on a Pi wrapped in Uncomplicated Firewall, no connection or passwords to the rest of the LAN, then shove it out into the DMZ and see who’s knocking.

5 Likes

It would sound like a war zone :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah. The best part was when I had it on two PCs with somewhat different IPs. I’d hear port scans sweep across one, and then on to the other as it progressed.

eta: I could always tell when there was a new Code Red variant on the loose.

3 Likes

Let me write a GUI in Visual Basic!

3 Likes

“We’re being hacked!! Quick! Someone write a GUI!!!11!!!”

4 Likes

Mainly takes place offscreen, so nothing to criticize, and since it works, it is ept.

When you see command line windows on terminals they are running linux, and searching through files is done with grep, so better than 99% of what you see in cinema.

1 Like

Yeah, that is the opposite of the books:

Plague invented a type of cuff that you fasten around the broadband cable, and I’m testing it out for him. Everything that Wennerstrom sees is registered by the cuff, which forwards the data to a server somewhere else.”

“Doesn’t he have a firewall?”

Salander smiled.
“Of course he has a firewall. But the point is that the cuff also functions as a type of firewall. It takes a while to hack the computer this way.

Ok, inductive tap, seems possible. Not sure what makes the tap a “firewall”…

Let’s say that Wennerstrom gets an email; it goes first to Plague’s cuff and we can read it before it even passes through his firewall. But the ingenious part is that the email is rewritten and a few bytes of source code are added…

An inductive tap that re-writes packets on the fly so they can magically assemble themselves as a hacked version of IE? I can’t say it’s impossible because I’m not an expert, but it’s not something I’ve heard of. Still better than magic key board hacker duels, I suppose.

2 Likes

I found the reference, its’ from some awful looking movie, and the actual quote is “I’ll create a GUI in Visual basic, see if I can track his IP address” which I would argue is almost as stupid as two idiots on one keyboard.

6 Likes

I’m doing a GUI right now!

gooie

7 Likes

Movie (at least the Swedish one) handled this better.

This one’s pretty bad.

Ignoring that two people typing is going to produce gibberish, you’re going to run into key blocking and ghosting. Duh.

DC’s Arrow series had some real doozies too - like the one where the internet was in danger because the bad guys were after the root DNS servers (which naturally all exist in a big locked vault that requires biometrics from multiple people to access). There was something about an overheating CPU actually causing an explosion too. It’s been a long time since I saw it, but it had me laughing out loud.

1 Like