NYT: If you see gibberish on a computer screen, it might be terrorist encryption software

• Image stego?
  • Just a banana?
  • jsmin.js?
  • The nazi machine?
  • enigma?
  • white space steg?
  • AES?
  • Twofish?
  • jsfart?
  • Custer’s last beignet?
  • jsfuck?

0 voters

JEOPARDY BONUS ROUND!

This is what @japhroaig posted up thread.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Whenever in public with some olds around just go here and start typing…
GEEKTyper.com - Be The One
or here Hacker Typer
#I’m in!

If you want to make a game of it:
Hacker Experience

8 Likes

@codinghorror that encoder is nothing but verbose, innit it

1 Like

All my coworkers write code that looks like gibberish.

4 Likes

cat sbin, that is beautiful. Especially if you’ve somehow downgraded their baud to about 2400.

5 Likes

Maybe some cat vids or puppies doing adorable things with the words
"Internet" in very readable font captioning the cover pic will help.

1 Like

Yeah posting code in a blockquote instead of …wait for it… a so called “code block” is pretty gosh darned revolutionary.

2 Likes

If you see gibberish on a computer screen, then by definition you don’t know what it is so shut the fuck up.

12 Likes

I so badly wish I could tell that to my users…

You know who the worst users are? The ones in corporate who get attached to their machines, then when it’s time to replace them, they act like I’m taking Lassy out back and shooting her.

8 Likes

Well, actually, it is spelled Lassie.

5 Likes

Well, there goes my “@japhroaig’s javascript is looking super shifty today; I’m not sure I’ll execute that…” plan…

3 Likes

Pfft, HA

This site gets me.

8 Likes

Ever since they were selling their original sin machines for $666 out of a garage somewhere… Never you mind that that was before many of these terrorists were born and all.

I’ve found that referring to yourself as ‘entropy’s servant’ or ‘emissary of inevitability’ and/or telling the user that all hardware, like all pets, loved ones, and users themselves, begins to die at the moment of its manufacture is entirely unhelpful.

3 Likes

I usually end up confusingly alternating between warm and cold in my bedside manner…

“Hey, you’re getting a BRAND SPANKING NEW COMPUTER!”
“But… But, what about my files?”
“What about them? They’ll be there too. You know how fast it is to copy them? Super fast!”
“But. I like my old computer.”

"your old computer is going to be pulled apart and I'm going to take the choicest pieces for myself. Then the rest of it is going to be melted into slag to make razorblades, armor piercing tank ammunition and more computers."
8 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: How do you post preformatted text without syntax highlighting

Shit, just press f8 when you boot up. That’ll put the willies up em just fine.

6 Likes

The joke’s is on the woman and the NYT: the guy was actually trying to debug his ‘Hello World’ program.

Or in this case, his ‘Goodbye World’ program.

2 Likes

Great, now I have to worry about writing perl scripts in public.

5 Likes