NYT: If you see gibberish on a computer screen, it might be terrorist encryption software

Sounds like a regular boot sequence to me…

3 Likes

“… a line of gibberish across the screen…”

2 Likes

I saw a screen like that once… on a T.V. newsfluff piece about A.T.M. hacking! Police!!

2 Likes

Va gurve qrsrafr, Gur Gvzrf ner whfg choyvfuvat na rlrjvgarff’f nppbhag. Gung gur rlrjvgarff vfa’g hc gb n ObvatObvat fgnaqneq bs grpuavpny yvgrenpl vf erterggnoyr, ohg abg fhecevfvat. V’yy org n znwbevgl bs pbzchgre hfref gurfr qnlf arire frr nalguvat ohg “vzntr be vagrearg” ba gurve fperraf…

I’m using DOUBLE ROT-13 encryption. You’ll never be able to decrypt this message.

3 Likes

[Rot13x64]Real cryptographers use Rot-13 x 64.[/Rot13x64]

VXJlcidmIGZienIgZWJnMTNrNjQuLi4=

1 Like

Cthulhu fhtagn?

Also, I’m still in my 20s, and my 2nd and 3rd computers both booted in DOS. How young and/or clueless are the people writing these articles?

4 Likes

Doubtless they are the sort to say things like “I’m computer stupid, lol” like it’s some kind of fucking badge of honor to not understand things. They also click any and all dialog boxes without reading them because “ugghhh, you mean I have to read those?” or “gah, just tell me what button to push to design a brochure in Excel.”

So, my vote is clueless at any age.

3 Likes

I should know better, but I would have expected most people to at least be able to have a reaction of “I’ve seen something like this before, and had to interact with it, even if I didn’t understand it then” or even “This looks like those 1980s computers I’ve seen in movies.”

3 Likes

How young and/or clueless are the people writing these articles?

Do you mean about computer code, or complete sentences in the english language?

Now if you will excuse me, I have some pesky kids to shoo off my lawn.

5 Likes

You’d think so, but if a fear response gets triggered, even reasonably smart people can become shrieking idiots. Also, the world is full of people who answer “which browser are you using?” with “facebook?” or “which version of Windows are you using” with “Dell?”. They are definitely on the other side of a divide.

1 Like

This is true. I need to remind myself to listen to Carlin: “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

4 Likes

See: Feature, not bug.

1 Like

…and when the internet browser finally came up, the terrorist laptop owner was clearly mapping out an entire city using a drone-controlled deer!!! Or a deer-controlled drone!!!

1 Like

cut me some slack, i’m an idiot sometimes! (all the time…?)

The median person. The average can be skewed by small groups of particularly stupid or intelligent people.

7 Likes

Something tells me that joke wouldn’t have played as well for Carlin.

1 Like

I hate mean people.

7 Likes

The average ones aren’t a win too.

3 Likes