NYT: Jon Stewart to end show after Apple tells him not to criticize China or AI

It depends. Movie studios are pretty conservative and will generally try to clear the use of trademarks before using them to avoid trademark dilution lawsuits - even if they’d win them.

Then there are the movie studios that are are doing paid product placement and of course, the company paying them can request their product not be used in certain ways.

5 Likes

Apple makes this show for exclusive viewing on their streaming platform. It is not a dramatic presentation, it is a news/current events show.

This is not about sponsor pressure or product placement. Apple is the producer, the studio, and the network.

7 Likes

I believe he sold it to his employees. What a shark!

3 Likes

Cue a short with cameos from all locales, with who they have hostage and what demands they had served; Tajikistan with shaven people in the movie, Angola with beards, hostage Tim Cook’s first crush, hostage Tim Cook’s Mom, hostage [IP leads’ OG keyboard for creative times,] Cupertino’s water supply team, loose leaf tea in movies, anonymous design objects that are chargers in movies, etc.

Of course it’ll all be Obvious Party propaganda when China asks for the 23rd Amendment to be abrogated in film, with respect to ‘refinery orbits,’ but by then…

3 Likes

Dammit, this reminds me, I urgently need to repair the waffle iron…

4 Likes

Frankly I’m surprised that Jon Stewart would sign a contract that allowed Apple to vet show ideas.

1 Like

A lot of countries with a ton of weird copyright laws. A death by a thousand cuts sort of thing

3 Likes

Did you actually read the thread?

I was replying to a post that had a video about how Apple does not let baddies be seen with their products - a video featuring a director of a show on Netflix. Nothing to do with Apple’s Jon Stewart cancellation.

I think I had managed to understand that Apple had cancelled one of their own shows because Jon Stewart would not accede to their requests, so it’s pretty obvious that that is how they enforced that!

3 Likes

That was a nice rabbit hole to drop down! I learned that polenta, the base food for hipsters is in fact corn grits which makes it much more working mans fodder.

1 Like

Not so good being prey for both.

1 Like

How do you think they take photographs on iPhones? It’s not optics!

Laugh Lol GIF

Ask the ghost of Orson Welles. Piss them off enough and they’ll not only recut it but bury the old footage at the bottom of the sea. Or just simply fire you.

5 Likes

I doubt that it was in the contract. The Apple execs probably just came in at some point with “notes” basically asking them to cover other subjects. Stewart no doubt told them to get lost, and the process of parting due to “creative differences” began.

7 Likes

Our household has a new Belgian waffle maker from Aldi that cost $30. It’s like the one in hotel breakfast rooms, only not as well-built.

4 Likes

I have resolved some time ago to never buy electrical landfill from Aldi.

It was a waffle maker that did it too I think.

2 Likes

I have a Cloer that’s about 25 years old and am really used to it. The waffles come out just so.
The latch that keeps the lid down when the waffles expand is damaged and all I need is a little screw & bolt to fix it.

5 Likes

It’s not nixtamalized though, so it’s not as nutritious as masa.

Still love it though, cook some, let it cool, slice it into wedges, and grill them on the bbq, last time I had it that way, we had some nduja, a mushroom tomato sauce, and a ragu as choices of toppings.

Hungry Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

2 Likes

One of the reasons that the DC metro is almost always portrayed by some other transit system is the rules they have about filming there. Nobody in the film can do something that is against the rules in the actual metro system. So no eating, smoking, or even running on trains.

3 Likes

Are raiders, ghouls and super mutants allowed?

4 Likes

Here are a couple eye-rolling smileys I found on my ext drive:
tophat-rolleyes rolleyes fish

2 Likes

I’ve met Bob and he’s as genuine as the image depicted on his labels.

10 Likes