NYTimes called out for editorial bias on transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people by its own writers

Originally published at: NYTimes called out for editorial bias on transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people by its own writers | Boing Boing

18 Likes

The Gray Lady should retire to The Villages.

24 Likes

The more of them we can concentrate into a few voting districts leaves the rest of Florida to us :slight_smile:

19 Likes

And the very next day…

[Archive]

This by Pamela Paul, who I just learned tried to weaponise feminist masterwork “Free to Be … You and Me” against trans people despite Marlo Thomas herself clearly opposing that TERD position:

AP: That original message — be who you are — fits nicely with today’s push for transgender rights. You were ahead of your time.

Thomas: It encompasses everyone: Be who you are. Otherwise, you end up committing suicide. You end up marrying people when you shouldn’t be marrying them and having terrible, secret lives.

[Source]

24 Likes

plus ça change

19 Likes

Jon Stewart Laughing GIF
:arrow_down:

16 Likes

Their response to the open letters was really sad (although apparently not all that surprising). Basically saying they didn’t do anything wrong and they stand by what their reporters wrote (I’m paraphrasing and need to find the actual response).

12 Likes

Here’s an article containing the response.

Charlie Stadtlander, The New York Times’ director of external communications, provided a statement on Wednesday afternoon:

“We received the open letter delivered by GLAAD and welcome their feedback. We understand how GLAAD and the co-signers of the letter see our coverage. But at the same time, we recognize that GLAAD’s advocacy mission and The Times’s journalistic mission are different.

As a news organization, we pursue independent reporting on transgender issues that include profiling groundbreakers in the movement, challenges and prejudice faced by the community, and how society is grappling with debates about care.

The very news stories criticized in their letter reported deeply and empathetically on issues of care and well-being for trans teens and adults. Our journalism strives to explore, interrogate and reflect the experiences, ideas and debates in society — to help readers understand them. Our reporting did exactly that and we’re proud of it.”

It’s too bad that the “interrogate” part comes in the form of allowing bigots to “JAQ off” and concern tr0ll.

Maybe, once again, they’ll realize that their overall approach was on the wrong side of history. Give them another 40 years or so…

15 Likes

Huh. Checked a couple of the columnists that are on my automatic “yeah, ignore this article” list, and they’re not on it.

/insert shocked gif here

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s the morning rush to get a child out the door here and it would have taken me forever to come back to this.

4 Likes

The Times has been fascist-curious since the '30s. They stuffed the paper full of lies so George Bush could get the Iraq War running, they front-paged sabotage against the Clinton campaign to get Trump into office, they go out of their way to give favorable coverage to Dapper Nazis, dirty cops, and the worst TERFs on the planet.

Sending the letter is a good thing, because it helps draw attention to the Times’ bigotry, but other than putting the signatories on a blacklist, the Times will ignore it.

10 Likes

The Times also sent out an internal memo telling their writers signing letters like this is a violation of policy.

https://twitter.com/maxwelltani/status/1626324277422133253?s=46&t=1DhznRXkaOgPRWI2tl1r2w

12 Likes

Guess who didn’t deliver that letter that the NYT is trying to characterize as being from an advocacy group and not their own writers,

https://nytletter.com/

16 Likes

While they tart the Gray Lady up in rags of eminence and longevity - it’s good to remember that she’s not even close to the oldest continuously published newspaper in the US.

Also - the oldest press club is the Pen and Pencil in Philadelphia. I’m an associate member- for the cheap liquor and late hours. :wink: Anyone can be if you get a sponsor.

9 Likes

Did you miss the /S tag there or are you being an asshole?

12 Likes

But we are better than you. Specifically.

12 Likes

I’m guessing the latter

Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

12 Likes

Accounts that were created half an hour ago don’t get the benefit of doubt that comes with the /s tag.

9 Likes

I did it again!

10 Likes

Distracted as you were by your own bigotry and hate, you seem to have missed that I posted a Nieman Labs article containing the NYT response defending itself (poorly) against the open letter.

I understand how some cis-het white men, having failed in their own lives, might feel threatened by those who are finally being recognized as humans by American society and who are being given a chance to contribute and exist as their authentic selves. The productive response by those sad specimens to that anxiety, Eric Lurio, isn’t to repeat the talking points of fascists and bigots and white supremacists, but rather to look inward at why they’ve ended up or see their future selves as losers.

7 Likes