Oakland, CA launches ‘See Something, Say Something’ sex work snitch website

Instead of a see something say something website to report the naughty, I’d rather there was a sump’n sump’n site so everybody could get sump’n.

1 Like

From a strictly practical point of view, legalising prostitution does achieve something - sex workers are able to report maltreatment to the police [where the police are not corrupted] without themselves being convicted of an offence. Also, legalisation must precede regulation, because you cannot regulate something that is illegal in itself.

I should offer a disclaimer here; I am not a sex worker and have never employed one, though inevitably I have met some during business travel. What interests me about the subject is the usual different rules for different genders/roles. I have worked for an armaments company as an R&D engineer - so there’s no doubt that I have worked in an industry far more morally questionable, full of bribery and corruption, than prostitution or the police. In the course of that work I met people in careers which exposed them to the risk of violence and death. If one is legal it is hard to understand why the other is not. Armies, of course, have strict regulatory frameworks. But currently we are in the position where it is legal for women to take on some jobs that may cause death or injury to them or others, and not others, based not on criteria of actual social harm but on a particular interpretation of some patriarchal religions. And as a result, women in one set of jobs are applauded and the others are marginalised and treated as criminals. It needs to be fixed.

13 Likes

I suppose anyone’s license can be reported in the this database.

‘On Saturday, the city of Oakland, California will launch a website where authorities can collect reports of people who patronize sex workers.’

HA silly me , I thought you meant…

Treat condescendingly, treat with condescension, condescend to, look down on, talk down to, put down, humiliate, treat like a child, treat as inferior, treat with disdain, treat scornfully/contemptuously, be snobbish to, look down one’s nose at.

But you meant…

Do business with, buy from, shop at, be a customer of, be a client of, deal with, trade with.

Nothing more to say, I’ll go get my coat.

4 Likes

I wonder what they would do if they learned about people watering down the word trafficking by using it for a girl who lived with her police mother the whole time.

It’s going to say just enough that they can’t possibly get sued for sending it, but still have it be guaranteed to ruin the marriage of anyone whose spouse opens the mail.

I’m at the point where I simply assume that a program like this “report a john” thing will result in the police abusing it (especially with Oakland’s track record). And even before that, as I’ve learned from being on the Internet, is that the public will abuse it.

1 Like

So, not being familiar with Oakland, I respond to a (fake?) irresistible Craigslist ad for a Nexus 7 for fifty bucks in the area, and ask the woman under the lamp post if she knows the address I’m looking for.

Then my wife opens the mail, since our car is in her name.

1 Like

I saw Popo “stacking donuts” on @enso in an alley earlier today!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.