Obama administration has secured 526 months of jail time for leakers

I am saying that leaking classified information is rightfully a federal offense, and that it’s bizarre that people who do foreign spies’ work for them are held up as heroes by some people.

Hey, I just read the articles, and note where it specifically mentions leaks which are aiding countries we’re at war with. Sorry if you didn’t see that.

We are not at war with any countries.

Also, the CIA has admitted that Manning’s whistleblowing, at least, did no actual harm to any actual agents or operations. But it did embarass the government, and that is unforgivable.

Also, I think you alredy knew these things and are trolling. But I could be wrong, you might just get all your knowledge from Fox. Broaden your horizons!

6 Likes

Cool Cool Cool. Perhaps you can point out one of the names on the list as a person who aided an enemy, any foreign power, or any foreign national.

Thomas Drake: Revealed waste
Shamai Leibowitz: revealed U.S. spying against Israeli diplomat
Chelsea Manning: Wikileaks.
John Kiriakou: revealed the secret CIA torture program.
Donald Sachtleben: disclosed details of a disrupted Yemen-based bomb plot
Stephen Kim: disclosed information about North Korea’s plans to test a nuclear bomb
Jeffrey Sterling: Alleged to have been James Risen’s source.
Edward Snowden: Revealed secret law allowing wholesale, covert surveillance of innocent people by the NSA.

8 Likes

And I’m saying that living in fear of retribution for exposing the illegal abuse of our own government is not an acceptable state of affairs. I don’t pay my taxes so they can be used to kill innocent civilians in a foreign country and spy on our own citizens. If those kinds of human rights abuses are going on, and I’m one of the few who know, you bet I would leak and I would hope anyone else would. Go ahead and throw me in a cage. Leaks have brought awareness of government abuses. Just how do they harm except to take control from opressors?

6 Likes

Sir, you are unAmerican, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Why don’t you provide some evidence that all or most of these leakers “aided the enemy.” The government hasn’t been able to, but I’m sure you’ll find something.

EDIT: I’ve just noticed that I’m not the first person to ask you to provide evidence that the “enemy” was “aided” by these leakers. In all sincerity, nobody is going to take you seriously until you do that. Which is a good thing.

4 Likes

This being BoingBoing, I honestly can’t tell if you’re quoting a comedian, being snarky for a laugh, repeating a meme, or actually calling me “unAmerican” because I support the idea of federal criminals being caught.

Whistleblowers will be imprisoned until transparency improves.

7 Likes

I think what he’s saying is that your dogged, one-size-fits-all obstinance is harmful to the country.

6 Likes

It depends what you feed them to…

3 Likes

I disagree. It’s a valid gripe, if a touch too sarcastic; whether Obama has managed to engage with the public (and exactly how much politik excluded that possibility) aside, his capitulation to the reactionary and grammatically creative security apparatus deserves criticism.

It’s not binary. Snowden et al. can be (a) revealing things Americans need to know about their own government’s surveillance overreach and (b) exposing (appropriately kept) secrets with the effect of putting innocent people in harm’s way, at the same time.

Good point. I suppose you can provide examples of how these people put innocent people in harms way then…

3 Likes

Do you know that it’s Justice for ALL?

Not just the disloyal… ALL.

So yes, it is bad. Please don’t play stupid. It’s beneath you.

1 Like

Well, because Snowden took massive quantities of documents to Russia, only a tiny handful of which have ever been disclosed as germane to the issue of spying on Americans, we don’t really know what else he’s got.

But Putin does.

He took no documents to Russia. That’s just plain old fashioned wrongety wrong wrong wrong.

7 Likes

cough cough. stahp.

2 Likes

Before we get into revisionist history, let’s be clear:

The first torture memo was a secret memo, written by Yoo at the request of the Bush administration, and leaked to the press in June 2004. Wikipedia

Many other such memos were secret as well.

6 Likes

and made upppity up to spread fearity fear, uncertainty, and doubtity doubt.

As well as to waste your time and mine, this bandwidth, and to distract from the lack of months of jail time secured for the anyones who created the very situations that were leaked ABOUT.

Huh? Who? What man behind the curtain?

1 Like