Obama on Sony Hack: "Sony made a mistake," internet needs "more regulation and control"

Well even a broken clock is right twice a day. Though I don’t think there is much the gov could or should do about this. Perhaps assist private corps against foreign government cyber attacks, but I don’t even know how that would work.

the endless supply of gullibility never ceases to amaze me.

1 Like

I doubt it is any kind of false flag.

The NSA has been outed as creating lots of backdoors and deliberate security weaknesses in computers all over the place. No reason to think that Sony was immune. Anyone could have hacked it, very possibly using the doors the NSA left open to ‘protect’ the US.

Has there been any evidence of a connection between the hacks and the threats? Even if we accept the FBI’s forensic conclusion that the DPRK was behind the hacks, unless I’m mistaken there’s no confirmed source of the threats — could be NK for intimidation, could be 4chan or some bored kid for the lulz.

(Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.)

1 Like

North Korea should just release it and ask for Bitcoin donations. They’ll make a fortune!

1 Like

Given the level of honesty we’ve come to expect from The Most Transparent Administration In History, it’s hard to think that the official story is any more likely to be true than anything else.

3 Likes

And that damn Groot character was a typical bleeding-heart, tree-hugging…

Oh! Guardians of Peace

Move along.

2 Likes

Oh, goody. Someone put the ‘L’ signal up…

3 Likes

“Operation Northwoods was… rejected by President John F. Kennedy.”

Again, no, we don’t have an Evil Villain president, and haven’t in the past, as fun as it might be to think so.

1 Like

I think it’s one thing to disagree with the policies of the current administration, and it’s quite another thing to be an “Interview truther”.

“Truther” is an attempt to smear people with 9-11 or Obama birther conspiracy theories…nothing more than an attempt to shut down discussion. My point is that it seems a bit early to be so certain it was NK…hacking is notoriously difficult to prove, and lots of experts are saying just that…it looks like NK but let’s not start a war just yet. There are lots of other possibilities yet. There just hasn’t been time to eliminate possibilities.
And I think it matters very much that this regime seems quite willing to lie and destroy evidence to defend its decisions…it makes them less careful if they are able to cover up bad decisions.

1 Like

Sure, I agree that being open to lots of options and possibilities makes sense. This could be a small group of American hackers doing an excellent job of posing as North Koreans. Or Chinese. Or Inuit. But jumping right over those to “well, this must be a conspiracy by the Obama administration to (a) start a war (b) regulate the Internets © let the NSA control data” has as much credibility as assuming he must be faking his birth certificate to remain President.

I guess it’s time to release my secretly filmed “La Entrevista”, about the killing of a caribbean dictator featuring Adam Sandlish and Jim Carreison. No?

1 Like

As I believe I said, it’s a bit early to be as definitive as they are being. And they have proven themselves to be liars willing to cover up their bad decisions. So it’s not wildeyed paranoia to be a bit skeptical until there has been time to be sure. You sound like a republican in the runnup to the war on Iraq… No need to question our sources, we ready know everything we need to. I’m not saying they did it, just that once they’ve announced the villains, they’ll never admit being wrong if it turns out they are, and may even hide the evidence. So we need to be sure.
That’s not jumping to conspiracies, that’s not trusting blindly. Which to you seem to be identical. Guess his political party is all you need to know to believe whatever they say.

3 Likes
But we can't change our patterns of behavior any more than we stop going to a football game because possibility of terrorist attack.

Oh that is rich. This from the president of a country that repeatedly lied to its citizens, abandoned its founding principles and shredded its own Constitution in response to a terrorist attack.

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t trust the president, its that I dont trust anyone in power.

2 Likes

I don’t trust you, if you think that some people really have more power than others. You’re trying to sell us out.

I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to provide some evidence for that assertion.

2 Likes

Those who believe the worst about politicians are rarely proven wrong.

3 Likes

Let me expound on this. Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Rupert Murdoch, or the Koch Brothers have no power over me except 1) persuasion and 2) favors and privileges that may have been granted to them by the armed might of the government.

The surliest, laziest junior clerk at the DMV has more real control over my life than any of the mustachio-twirling Gilded Age capitalists in their top hats and spats. I can buy my internet service from CenturyLink or my operating system from Apple or my cell service from AT&T if I don’t like what Cox Cable or Microsoft or Verizon has on offer. I can’t go to a different DMV if I don’t like their service or their regulations, and if I disregard their rules, the government will take me to jail or shoot me if I try to escape.

The government can NEVER be trusted. It must ALWAYS be considered the most evil and untrustworthy institution in any society. Governments killed 200 million of their own citizens in the past century! Not everyone in government is a power-crazed sociopath, but it is certainly true that the most power crazed sociopaths in any society are to be found in government and politics. All the criminals and all the dishonest businessmen who lived on earth since the dawn of time are not 1/10th of 1% as evil as government.

When our children are young, we need to teach them to hate and fear and undermine and marginalize government, to work constantly to cut its powers and revenue, and to spread contempt for it and resistance to it among their friends and fellow citizens.