Obama was "raised white", says Ben Carson

If you have good beer and fast Internet, I wish to join your planet.

5 Likes

I knew this nonsense sounded familiar.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/10/08/3710661/carson-murdoch-obama/

8 Likes

Rupert Murdoch, the arbiter of American Blackness (he just compares them to his heart).

17 Likes

You are so fixated on examining his statements on a purely semantic level, ignoring all pragmatic or extralinguistic political considerations. Thatā€™s just not a useful way deal with things people say. It does matter why people say things and how those things relate to the speaker, the audience and their environment. What Carson said may be true, but so fucking what? It certainly doesnā€™t mean that the statement doesnā€™t deserve more scrutiny and possibly condemnation. This simplistic focus on factual truth is just not very helpful unless you are trying to impersonate a cartoon robot.

5 Likes

You took issue with my initial statement (which sort of went against the tone of the original article), not me with your. You claimed I was implying there is only one genuine African American experience and that I was therefore ā€œpretty racistā€ for not understanding that many black Americans were not born in disenfranchised urban settings. So I replied in defense.

And then you got indignant over how dare I disagree with you and what was my point in posting anything anyway.

1 Like

They guy who theorized that the pyramids were really for grain storage now theorizes that Republican voters really want someone ā€œblackerā€ than Obama.

1 Like

You didnā€™t really examine my statements in context did you? I repeatedly acknowledged the points you are making.

Ben Carson = Uncle Ruckus

8 Likes

2 Likes

I donā€™t really want to play your game, but:

2 Likes

The most interesting part for me isā€¦ are you or are you not aware of the beam in your own eye?

1 Like

Were you by chance involved with that Mars probe that was lost due to units problems? :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

You are right, I was wrong on this one. The attitude wasnā€™t actually expressed by anyone in the thread. I was more reacting to the tone of the original article. Mea culpa.

The sentence with the adversarial goals was however referring to Carson being on the other team and pursuing them - I knew it would come out wrong.

3 Likes

At least on the evangelical side, though, they do seem to like sordid pre-conversion bio filler, which I assume is the angle that Carson is working in this case.

If it werenā€™t for that, heā€™d be well advised to tread much more carefully(eg. Obamaā€™s ā€œTerrorist Fist Bumpā€ incident); but pretending that you lived in really lurid sin before televangelist jesus saved you is pretty stock.

1 Like

True, itā€™s quite a tangled web he weaves.

We have nothing but dark rich stouts and porter, bourbon, rye, scotch, copious amounts of coffee, and the oceans are the cleanest and purest vodka ever. All aquatic life give off a natural lemon oil and it flavors the crisp cool seas for a perfect vodka martini.

Alsoā€¦we have bacon.

6 Likes

Was there ever an official verdict on that story, or did we just move on?

Of course Carson is relevant in the race. He is the designated comic relief.

1 Like

Heā€™s not a real doctor, he just plays one on TV!

7 Likes

While itā€™s true that Obamaā€™s childhood experiences were not those of a typical black child in America, being raised partly in Honolulu, partly in Indonesia, with various family members from all over the globe isnā€™t really ā€œraised white.ā€ When he was in the US he was seen as a black male in the US, regardless of his peculiar family background (that canā€™t fairly be described as ā€œraised whiteā€).

3 Likes