Obsessively checking election results? Here's raw data from the API powering the New York Times’ election site

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/06/obsessively-checking-election-results-heres-raw-data-from-the-api-powering-the-new-york-times-election-site.html

4 Likes

This is a great resource. That NC data looks… odd.

If you hover over the column headings, it will tell you what they mean.

I deduced this immediately, but mention this in case people stare at it, perplexed. Which I totally did not do.

So it’s the exact same back end data as the NYT website but without the helpful front end user interface? Sign me up!

1 Like

No, it’s got a full history. The NYT website shows only the current status.

Looking through the spreadsheet-style results from Arizona, as Biden’s lead is whittled away hour by hour, told me a lot more than regularly refreshing the wet site.

3 Likes

6 minutes ago Biden 39,769 227,871 6,666 Biden 41.1% / 58.9% Trump Trump is averaging 57.9% Trump needs 58.00% [-0.005%]

ouch

OK I’ll give you history is useful, but speaking as a geographer, spatial context is king. A map is worth a thousand charts. It’s not really when the votes come in that matters, it’s where they’re coming from.

2 Likes

ssh, you are going to crash it…

It’s fine.

This site is excellent. Great, no BS presentation of the up to date data I really care about right now.

After watching days of excruciating and repetitive analysis by TV talking heads when all I want to know is are we winning or not (and by how much), this site delivers.

“Doing a lot of cocaine? Try freebasing!”

You cruel, cruel man.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.