Oculus Quest and Rift S now shipping

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/21/oculus-quest-and-rift-s-now-sh.html

Oculus Quest, the so-called ‘iPod of VR’, is now shipping.

I got both today as I really wanted to simplify my setup as the wiring and stuff got to me. The S so far is fine and it really solved a lot of problems I had with the Original rift. The blacks are not that amazing but the clarity so so damn nice. The tracking is downright magic.

So far my review for the Quest: It looks like somebody managed to figure out how to pack actual magic into a product. I expect this is a product of the Virtual Adepts.

2 Likes

6 Likes

I damaged my eyes by being too close to the tv and now VR is the only way I can see properly.

5 Likes

I tried VR twice, and only the second time because I was talked into thinking my queasiness from the first attempt was just due to the tech not having the bugs ironed out. Nope, still nauseating during and for about fifteen minutes after as my inner ear tried to adjust for my poor life choices. I’ll wait for holodecks.

5 Likes

Sorry, I’m lucky in that I don’t get motion sick or vr sick.

3 Likes

Anything connected, even remotely, to Facebook and/or Palmer Luckey can stay all the way away from me forever.

11 Likes

I never go to the 3D movies- never seems a good experience & sucks wearing glasses on top of glasses.

4 Likes

Same, i really don’t care to ever touch anything to do with the Oculus Rift because of the FB and Palmer Lucky connection

10 Likes

I think about all that “meme magic” shit from 2016 and want to scream. How that POS is a billionaire while so many of us struggle is comically unjust.

6 Likes

There’s some inner-ear stimulation technology that would alleviate the nausea issues, but it doesn’t seem to be in widespread use, yet. I often get nauseous just looking at a screen, so I’m not even thinking about trying VR right now.

3 Likes

Did none of these people grow up with siblings? Within 5 seconds of putting that thing on my face, I would have had a wedgie. And then pantsed. And then wedgied again.

I had three siblings, just in case that wasn’t clear.

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat. It’s a shame, because a lot of the aspects of the Rift’s designs are better than the Vive which I ended up getting.

Mainly the controllers. Fates alive, the Vive controllers are terrible. Hopefully the Index ones will be an improvement.

4 Likes

Do you have more info on that stimulation tech? It would be much easier for me to justify going with a VR setup if my motion-sickness-prone wife could use it too.

From what I understand poor headtracking has a lot to do with this motion sickness. The first time I tried a Oculus (the first version I believe) the rollercoaster was quite disorienting (I don’t get motion sickness very fast) but nothing prepared me for the walking sim. One step forward in typical first person game mode with a joystick is like a meter. I felt like my stomach was the only part of my body that didn’t make the jump forward.

The Vive was the first with what they call “immersive 6DOF” IIRC, one step forward is one step forward for both your digital and physical body. That should solve about 80% of the nausea, or at least I hope, I still have to try a set with that possibility.

I’m really tempted by the Quest but hate that it’s owned by Facebook, also that would mean that I would miss out on the Portal game. But the Vive is just way too expensive and I really don’t think my laptop will work as a base station. € 400 for a standalone set, that is a very sweat deal!

2 Likes

Agreed with the above posters. They lost me at “facebook-owned”.

3 Likes

My name is Steve from Oculus Customer Service. There seems to be an error with our virtual headsets, and on behalf of the company, I would like to apologize and try to help.

Yep, same here. I would absolutely LOVE to try these things out but I am not putting Facebook hardware anywhere near my home.

3 Likes

This is the tech:

It’s early days in terms of VR applications, and I’m a bit suspicious of claims I’ve read that some VR products use it, because it’s not clear exactly what they’re doing.

Thanks! Interesting, but yeah, it does seem pretty crude. And from the article it sounds more like a means to enhance the feeling of motion rather than reduce motion sickness. Maybe.