Odd Stuff (Part 1)

We’ve heard of spam filters but this is ridiculous: Pig-monkey chimeras developed in a Chinese laboratory

3 Likes

Forget sharks with lasers, NASA kits out an elephant seal with a sensor-studded skullcap

6 Likes

I’ll take “Sentences impossible not to sing in one’s head” for $500.

9 Likes

“We built this city” For free.

7 Likes

Fair enough, I love rock n’ roll.

5 Likes

Internet jerk with million-plus fans starts 14-year stretch for bizarre dot-com armed robbery

3 Likes

Americans should have strong privacy-protecting encryption …that the Feds and cops can break, say senators 1)

1) Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Diane Feinstein (D-CA), US Senate Judiciary Committee. Ignorance is bliss bipartisan.

4 Likes

Did… did they glue it on its head?

1 Like

It is a very tight seal.

8 Likes

Yes:
The tags - actually, sensors with antennas - are glued to the seals’ heads in accordance with established ethical standards when the animals come ashore either to breed or to molt. The researchers remove the tags to retrieve their data when the seals return to land. If they miss a tag, it drops off with the dead skin in the next molting season.

Every now and then, I give in to the nagging for the Visual Studio monthly updates.

All I can guess at is that Electron apps are very large, and there’s no such thing as updating only the small bits that have changed. So, it’s a Star Craft 2-sized install, every month. I think Microsoft has taken the OMG Huge! title from Google’s Android Studio.

1 Like

Mmmm Mmmm Santa!

https://www.hiddenvalley.com/ranch-shop-products/ranch-filled-stocking-preorder/

Salad in lieu of cookies this year Santa?

4 Likes
7 Likes

Everything looks fabulous; then it dies.

Say “No!” to glitter.

5 Likes

Thousands of 10-inch pulsing penis fish

7 Likes

Naked Lunch?

“When the tide is in, the worm slides up to the chimney of its burrow and exudes a sticky mucous net from a ring of glands… these mucous nets, looking like decaying jellyfish, draped around the burrow entrance. The worm continues to secrete as it slips lower into the burrow, generating a slime-net that stretches from the chimney to the worm’s mouth. Using contractions … the worm sucks plankton, bacteria, and other bits into this net. …the worm slurps it all back into its mouth, taking in the particles it wants to eat and discarding the rest into the tunnel.”

William Burroughs should have been a science writer.

5 Likes

It looks like a gooey duck without the shell.

8 Likes

Another shocking development. Who could have anticipated that putting a continuous monitor in your house might make you vulnerable to continuous monitoring?

7 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t want it, but I kind of want someone else to get one, you know?

3 Likes