6 Likes

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

/r/chonkers

1 Like

COMING SOON: Brexit GPS

1 Like

Those are some of my ancestors. You should see the documentation provided at Angel Island (the San Fran equivalent of Ellis Island): language, clothing, everything in Chinese, but then you look at the faces.

There were similar strong communities like this in India, central Asia, Thessaloniki (Greece), etc.

11 Likes

In class tomorrow, I’m discussing Rabbi Gershom ben Judah and Judah Halevi… I’ll have to add the Jewish community in Kaifeng to my discussion on the Diaspora!

9 Likes

Or not:

3 Likes

so disappointed in brexit now

5 Likes

Looks like Britain’s space programme is back to putting a man in a tracksuit on a ladder.

10 Likes

You held out for a very long time, bravo!

7 Likes

/r/absoluteunits

2 Likes

MAKE BREXIT GREAT AGAIN :crazy_face:

6 Likes

The central Asian community was HUGE, centered around Bukhara in what is now Uzbekistan, so Jews from that area of the world are called Bukharan (as opposed to Ashkenazim, Sephardim, Mizrahim, etc.). There was a lot of diaspora-from-the-diaspora going on all over Asia from that central location.

6 Likes

I suspect that many students are probably unaware of that, too (I largely was until I started doing the research for this week’s lecture).

One thing understanding the Diaspora helps people to grok about history, I think, is just how much people migrated in the ancient and medieval world… While traveling was harder and not as fast back then, people still moved, and tracking the location of Jewish communities helps to illustrate that fact.

6 Likes

How much cargo space does it have? For me it’s when I have something too large to put on a bike I’d need something like that. In fact, you could imagine stores selling bulky goods getting access to cargo capable vehicles like this to let customers rent them for a cheap price to get home.

That thing would become a default privacy booth for 14 year olds with money.

1 Like

Since it didn’t one box:

Meet Rain Frog: The World’s Grumpiest Frog

This frog with a perpetual frown isn’t actually grumpy, it’s not really silently judging your poor life decisions – that’s just how it always looks. This grouchy-faced amphibian has the most intimidating mug around. The proof is in the grumping. Scroll through for more grump.

Freaking adorbs.

11 Likes

:cry:

17 Likes