Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Stop tracking me, Google: Austrian citizen files GDPR legal complaint over Android Advertising ID

Privacy pressure group Noyb has filed a legal complaint against Google on behalf of an Austrian citizen, claiming the Android Advertising ID on every Android device is “personal data” as defined by the EU’s GDPR and that this data is illegally processed.

Based in Vienna, Austria, Noyb is a nonprofit founded by Max Schrems, a lawyer and privacy advocate, to focus on “commercial privacy and data protection violations”. It says that “the core task of the office is to work on our enforcement projects and to engage in the necessary research for strategic litigation.”

1 Like
6 Likes
4 Likes

Bundesliga: 'Geisterspiele, ‘Gegenpressing’ and other useful German football words

3 Likes
1 Like

How about “Götterdämmerung”, when a team at or near the top of its division has many key players sucked away by wealthier clubs (eg Leicester City FC in 2016).

2 Likes

Obviously they need to import some tigers. :thinking:

1 Like

So here’s a thought. Do we already share the planet with a totally alien intelligence?

Original paper:

Honestly don’t know what to make of it, but gotta keep an open mind, right?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Hmm. That idea has been around and around.

6 Likes

Interesting paper!
(I didn’t bother with the video, the title put me right off.)

I’m a bit wary of the ‘using machine learning’ bit; as far as I can tell keeping those systems from finding what you’re looking for even if it isn’t there can be an issue.
I’d also like to see an evaluation of their setup from someone who knows their way around acoustics/recording equipment/processing equipment.

But that a plant’s plumbing system, so to speak, has an acoustic signature, yes, I can see that.
Cavitation effects, air bubbles being pushed through the system, changes in “pipe” diameters and flow rates, and so on.
With factors like whatever is soluted in the water in this or that concentration, and temperature affecting properties like surface tension, viscosity, flow rates… The state the plant is in might even influence the surface properties of the “pipes”, which would also change flow rates.

Should be worth looking into it further.

1 Like

Needs more buzzwords

4 Likes

Slabchain, it’s the new thing.
Also, tepid fusion.

3 Likes

You can’t have it both ways: Anti-coronavirus masks may thwart our creepy face-recog cameras, London cops admit

5 Likes

Well, this is bullshit.
Article 9.2 (h) and 9.2 (i) were practically made for times like this.

But then Cerf has had funny ideas about privacy for a while now.

2 Likes

Everything OK with Microsoft? Windows giant admits it was ‘on the wrong side of history’ with regard to open source

“Microsoft,” said Smith during a chat hosted by MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab (CSAIL), “was on the wrong side of history when open source exploded at the beginning of the century and I can say that about me personally.”

5 Likes

it would be cool to make like a Geiger counter or metal detector type of device that could mirror the plant frequencies at a lower scale into the human hearing range. a translator, if you will.

2 Likes

You might be able to do it with a simple mixer, low-pass filter, and an audio amplifier. All those parts would be inside an old transistor radio. You’d just need a different crystal oscillator and a dab of know-how

3 Likes

12 Likes

I vaguely remember some sort of gadget my parents had when I was a kid that did this. It had clips you attached to a plant’s leaves, and something like wind chimes that would ring as the plant reacted to stimuli. This probably came out sometime in the 70s, back when I was pretty young… so it’s not a new concept.

For all I know, that gizmo may still be somewhere in the house, tucked away in a cabinet it closet, but I haven’t found it yet.

1 Like