Odd Stuff (Part 1)

What’s “odd” about that?

I had to put it somewhere.
Or should we start a tread about golf?

You had to? Why? Is the South China Morning Post (or maybe some other aggregator) paying you to flood places like bbs with random links?

What?

Calculator Hacked for Cheating Includes a Secret OLED Screen, Wifi, and Even a Chat Function

3 Likes

I thought this was just a thread for sharing random-yet-interesting things that don’t merit a topic of their own?

Like this one:

Rainbow chocolate… almost too pretty to eat.

14 Likes

True, but then…

20200510_165707

1 Like

This might be because I started this thread?

6 Likes

I wonder if it’s an even higher number from other threads.

Anyway, sharing is cool, of course. I just wondered sometimes if you’re getting paid for it somehow, because it’s so many, and mostly from a couple of sources. Even if you are, i guess that’s fine too. Just wondering also if I could get some of that action! :rofl:

1 Like

Nah, it’s just a hobby.

5 Likes

Are they using the dreaded “hypno dance” attack?

3 Likes

Total Eclipse to depart: Open-source software foundation is hopping the pond to Europe

The Eclipse Foundation today unveiled plans to make itself a little more European with a jump into Brussels.

3 Likes

Microsoft doc formats are the bane of office suites on Linux, but SoftMaker’s Office 2021 beta may have a solution

SoftMaker’s Office 2021 – a cross-platform office suite that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux – has hit public beta.

SoftMaker Office features the classic trio of products: word processor (TextMaker), spreadsheet (PlanMaker), and presentation graphics (Presentations). It has been around for 30 years; this new version replaces SoftMaker Office 2018.

The suite comes in two guises, FreeOffice and a commercial version. The commercial version has additional features including customisable ribbons, document tabs, thesaurus, better spell checking, SVG image support, mail merge, charts, and VBA-like macros (full details of the differences are here). A permanent licence costs £44.90 per year for the full version, or £24.90 per year for a (only slightly) cut-down Home version.

Papa don’t breach: Contracts, personal info on Madonna, Lady Gaga, Elton John, others swiped in celeb law firm ‘hack’

Hackers are threatening to release 756GB of A-list celebs’ contracts, recording deals, and other personal info allegedly stolen from a New York law firm.

The miscreants have seemingly got their hands on confidential agreements, private correspondence, contact details, and other information belonging to superstars, including Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Sir Elton John, Run DMC, Bruce Springsteen, Barbra Streisand, and Lady Gaga, and their representatives.

The data was swiped by the REvil, aka Sodinokibi, malware-slinging gang best known for taking down Travelex, infosec biz Emsisoft’s Brett Callow told The Register .

Uncle Sam courting Intel, TSMC to build advanced chip fabs on home soil – report

Analysis The US is reportedly in talks with Intel and TSMC to develop new chip factories on home soil due to supply chain concerns as well as the geopolitical threat posed by China.

According to The Wall Street Journal , the Trump administration is also trying to convince Samsung to expand its existing facilities in Texas to encompass more sophisticated silicon.

Don’t trust deep-learning algos to touch up medical scans: Boffins warn ‘highly unstable’ tech leads to bad diagnoses

Be wary of medical scans enhanced by AI algorithms: the software is prone to making tiny errors that could lead to incorrect diagnoses, a study has warned.

Some scientists argue that deep-learning code could reduce the time spent conducting medical scans if the algorithms can automatically improve image quality for medics and computer programs to assess.

However, findings published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences this week show the results are often flawed. Small details, like tumors, may be blurred or removed altogether during the so-called enhancement, or unwanted flecks of noise may pop up, causing concern for doctors.

4 Likes

Tumors are not something I would describe as “a small detail”! :astonished:

6 Likes
1 Like

T-Rex was a long-distance runner?

But how could it slam back some Gatorade with those tiny little arms?

4 Likes

There’s Norway you’re going to believe this: World’s largest sovereign wealth fund conned out of $10m in cyber-attack

The Norwegian Investment Fund has been swindled out of $10m (£8.2m) by fraudsters who pulled off what’s been described as “an advance data breach.”

Norfund – the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund, created from saved North Sea Oil revenues and currently worth over $1tn – said a hacker was able to manipulate the organization into routing a loan intended for a Cambodian microfinance organization into an account controlled by the crooks. As a result, in March, 100m Kroner was lost.

4 Likes