Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Franco-German cloud framework floated to protect European’s data from foreign tech firms slurpage

In short, it’s an attempt to define a space that’s safe from US and Chinese cloud giants and conforms with EU data protection requirements. It’s part of the broader European Data Strategy.

1 Like

Because things aren’t bad enough already: COVID-19 is going to mess up election security assumptions too

The social distancing measures brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic will weaken election security in the US, according to a non-profit’s security check.

A report [PDF] from New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice warns that as election workers and local officials are forced to do their jobs remotely, the risk of attack skyrockets.

2 Likes

US Air Force wants to pit AI-powered drone against its dogfighting hotshots in battle of the skies next year

The US Air Force wants to pit an autonomous aircraft against another fighter jet controlled by a human pilot in July 2021.

The American Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) has been quietly working towards that goal for a while, and it has more than one ongoing project focused on building unmanned, autonomous aircraft.

1 Like
3 Likes

We have found him! The elusive person who has actually read “Ulysses” cover to cover!!

13 Likes
3 Likes

:musical_note: And the head coach wants no sissies… :musical_note:

I’ll show myself out

1 Like

Took me a moment!

So sad to think that millions of campers (or more likely, their parents) won’t be singing that song this summer.

4 Likes

Wombat Wednesday’s taken a dark turn.

4 Likes

Grandparents, or maybe great grandparents.

Allan Sherman died nearly fifty years ago, and his career died a good ten years before that.

2 Likes

Thanks, young man. I’ll just go get my cane, so I can shoo you off of my lawn!

11 Likes

WOW!!!

12 Likes

Drive-Through Convention for Virginia Republicans

Sure hope there isn’t any tire slashing going down… /s

1 Like

California bigwigs rule Uber, Lyft dial-a-ride drivers are employees, not contractors

6 Likes

AWS won’t sell facial-recog tool to police for a year – other law enforcement agencies are in the clear

EU aviation wonks give all-electric training aeroplane the green light – but noob pilots only have 50 mins before they have to land it

2 Likes

What could possibly make a cranky crocodylomorph more terrifying? How about one that chases you on its hind legs?

New evidence from South Korea suggests that three-metre ancestors of modern-day crocodiles and alligators walked upright on their back legs.

8 Likes

A click-through from your link. (dated last year)

:rofl:

7 Likes

Well, it is insensitive and derogatory to adress a random kangaroo as “Skip” or “Skippy”. That’s just reducing them to a cliché based on a bit of pop culture.
Go ahead, call the next bear you meet on a hiking trail “Boo-Boo” and see what happens.

10 Likes

God’s car keys?

8 Likes