Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Too bad I’m afraid of heights. Back to my retirement dream of growing saffron (jk, I have a brown thumb):

https://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0807/gallery.most_expensive_foods.fsb/4.html

5 Likes

I’m convinced that some of the plants I’ve had withered on purpose just to spite me.

Despite my best efforts, I might add.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Alligator crack baby overlords, yada yada.

14 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

9 Likes

Scratch scratch! Dad’s greatest hits.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Bacteria Found in Nuclear Reactors Could Be the Secret to Faster, Cheaper Vaccines

5 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes

FB_IMG_1592682011274

20 Likes

Every B-52 is different. Various hardware modifications have left some planes with mystery equipment installed. It’s just left where it is to act as ballast, or because people are scared to remove it.

2 Likes

You’d think that modifications to airplanes would be properly documented, what with safety and operational readiness and stuff…

2 Likes

CERN puts two new atom-smashers on its shopping list. One to make Higgs Bosons, then a next-gen model six times more energetic than the LHC

1 Like

You’d think, and most of the mods are, but some mods were installed during 'Nam under less-than-disclosed circumstances for example.

1 Like

Some of the 18 express cargo shipments were addressed to Airbnb rental accommodations.

3 Likes

Close-up of the sign:

Back story: the Norwegian government has been merging counties. In this case the two merged counties have been unable to come up with an agreement as to their new merged coat of arms, and a protest group has changed the old signs to signal their displeasure with the delay.

Not in this story, but in some cases the mergers have had unfortunate consequences. For example, one county had a very cool “library boat” serving some of its coastal towns, the county with which it merged was bigger and the merged county council voted to defund the boat.

11 Likes

Belief in 5G conspiracy theories goes hand-in-hand with small explosions of rage, paranoia and violence, researchers claim

Psychologists from Northumbria University have published a research paper examining the connection between beliefs in 5G COVID-19 conspiracy theories, and the willingness to act violently upon them. Surprise surprise, if you believe 5G is part of a Soros-backed depopulation plan, you might be tempted to take up a Super Soaker in arms.

https://amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/22/experts-call-for-regulation-after-latest-botched-art-restoration-in-spain?__twitter_impression=true

14 Likes

Markus Braun, the former CEO of the German payment services provider Wirecard, has been arrested, public prosecutors in Munich confirmed on Tuesday, saying that he had turned himself in on Monday evening.

A statement from the prosecutors’ office said Braun had been detained on suspicion of inflating the company’s balance sheet and revenues to make it appear stronger and more attractive for investors and customers. Three other managers are also under investigation.

Braun had resigned last week as CEO of Wirecard after an audit revealed billions of euros in discrepancies on the company’s budget sheet, causing Wirecard share values to plummet.