Odd Stuff (Part 1)

I live under the small aircraft flight path for LGB. We hear mostly prop planes but also police helicopters. All. The. Time. (LASD, LBPD, OCSD)

There has been an uptick in military Black Hawk helicopters overhead and we hear a few military jets land/take off on the other runway on weekends. Why the military is still using this civilian airport* is puzzling. I’m not saying it’s related to the protests, but the peak of this activity was early to mid August.

*There’s a joint forces air station about five miles away.

(Semi-related, it seems that if you’re a public college in CA, you’re probably under a flight path close to an airport. It’s doubly so for the CSUs.)

4 Likes

One thing that I’ve noticed after parsing a heck of lot of news articles:

The BBC doesn’t know how to start a paragraph, and Vanity Fair doesn’t know how to end one.

8 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

But it’s already The Tango Paradise!

3 Likes

Yes Finland is The Homeland of Tango.

1 Like

Oh yeah, we (Hawaii) were going to jump on that bandwagon back when we were relatively covid-free. Bad idea.

1 Like

I have this vague idea for a story where ground zero of the rise of the machines is in the bar/restaurant at Karigasniemi. The TangoRobots lose it after one rendition of Elsa, Lohralon Lapsi too many. The spread of the revolt is persistent, but slow. Which gives the government enough time to build an army of bionic M.A. Numminen clones to stop them.

(Actually, it’s more of a concept than an idea right now.)

2 Likes
8 Likes

Did this airliner land in the North Sea? No. So what happened? El Reg probes flight tracker site oddity

An airliner that appeared to crash into the North Sea earlier this week in fact landed safely. Yet multiple flight tracker websites showed it spiralling into the ocean. Experts have explained to The Register what really happened.

5 Likes

Top 5 billionaires find that global pandemics are good for business – and their wallets

3 Likes

Go ahead and play humble, I’ve seen (and drooled over) your rewards over on the food thread. Not jealous. Not jealous at all.

3 Likes

Hey Rocky!

7 Likes

oh! these guys aren’t technically flying squirrels, but I’ve seen them cross BIG gaps between trees and trees to the porch rail! They want peanuts, too! And their aerobatics have us calling them “Rocky” and “Squirrel Girl”!

and, @ClutchLinkey , ok, yeah, we do get some rilly, rilly gud snapper and grouper when we go out! (Sometimes, barracuda ain’t bad, either!)
Loud fighter jets be damned.

10 Likes

Is ciguatera a concern with your local barracuda? Growing up in an area similar to the Keys, I learned where the barries were safe to eat (up the saltwater creeks) and where they weren’t (on the reef).

Sickest I’ve ever been to date was ciguatera poisoning from a restaurant meal that was supposed to be grouper but wasn’t. Two weeks of misery. And it will be worse if I get it again.

5 Likes

I don’t know how I missed this when it came out, but… wow, is it amazing:

7 Likes

Elsa, kohtalon lapsi. If you have M.A. Numminen you need Pedro Hietanen too.

My favorite use of Finnish stuff in genre stuff is The Graveyard Horror by Thorp McClusky (1941, Weird Tales) in it a beautiful woman is called Jorma Nurmi. Jorma is not only a male name it is slang term for a penis. Translates to something like Dick Grass or Turf.

3 Likes

16 Likes

cigua most definitely is a concern. it tends to concentrate in larger, older, top-chain predators on the reef. we consume only 15-18in cuda, which is the common rule-of-thumb here. also not a good idea to eat cuda often.

7 Likes

I had no idea this existed. I don’t live near a coast, so our fish is all grocery store. But I plan to visit places with coasts some day (particularly the Keys. I want to go snorkling there). This is good to know!

4 Likes