Odd Stuff (Part 2)

11 Likes
2 Likes

That time a startup tried to hire me just to push clients’ products in job interviews

Years ago, prior to his UK government service and AMP rebel period, Terrence Eden was running a mobile technology consultancy when a London-based startup offered to pay him to take job interviews with no intention of accepting any offers.

His sole purpose in approaching companies under the pretense of seeking work there was to pitch products for the startup’s clients.

Eden recounted this tale in a blog post on Friday following his rediscovery of the now expired non-disclosure agreement he had signed at the time to learn about this gig.

[…]

3 Likes

https://hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/248919/STAR-WARS-BOBA-FETT-ROCKET-FIRING-PROTOTYPE-L-SLOT-AFA-85-NM-ACTION-FIGURE

Somebody dropped $165,200.00 for an unpainted toy prototype and suppository.

3 Likes

Really?

3 Likes
6 Likes

So, hold up . . .

The girl had allegedly approached them claiming that she had been taken to the island against her will by her parents, and begged them to take her back to shore. Upon reaching the island, police found the girl and her parents, and learned that their presence there was a strange form of teaching the 13-year-old girl about hardship and adversity.

So, the fishermen showed up, and the girl asked to be taken back. But apparently they left her there and went to get the police? Ouch.

5 Likes

1980: five-year-old Brandon fires the rocket while we were under a tree. the handy string attached (designed for retrieval of the rocket) got tangled in the tree. moments later, the teacher called us in from recess. Boba Fett stayed in the tree.

3 Likes
2 Likes

This is an ad on Japanese TV (one of those call now and get two for the price of one type of ads). Notice the phone number to call.

1 Like

Don’t let your cat out!

8 Likes

Dunno if this is “Odd,” or “Pure Abusive BS”

8 Likes

I vote for the latter - not only for promoting fear-mongering by taking the cowardly position that they are somehow threatened by destruction of a sign, but also for using language created to protect marginalized people.

12 Likes

What is odd is how the crime and punishment compare with Mr Nazi traitor here:

"Curzio, 35, pleaded guilty to one count of unlawfully protesting inside the Capitol and agreed to pay $500 to repair damages to the complex. This has become the standard plea deal that the Justice Department has offered to many Capitol rioters who didn’t act violently. "

And that woman faces a year for stepping on a sign??? :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

IANAL, but I would think an Actual Lawyer could mount a pretty basic 1st amendment defense for stomping on a sign. Then she can sue the department, teach them a lesson.

9 Likes

we all quit

14 Likes

I believe it was National Lampoon that would solicit readers to submit funny signs, newspaper clippings etc for publication in the mag, before we had the internet for such things.

the one I will always remember was a similar sign at a Dairy Queen which read “scream until your parents stop.”

5 Likes

And once they understand it, adapted to advertising LED throwies?

5 Likes

Stephen A. Smith’s xenophobia on display during analysis of MLB leads to an odd “apology” (after initially doubling down):

7 Likes