Odd Stuff (Part 3)

11 Likes
9 Likes

Oh I Get It Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

5 Likes

:thinking:

11 Likes

Did you ever wonder why Jack O Lantern teeth look like that?

9 Likes

Just what Mittens needed

7 Likes

3 Likes
9 Likes

Not defending the rogue treepruner.
Am extremely picky about who touches our trees out here.

I do want to offer this [anti-] oak wilt practice for your consideration, from a certified arborist (a 5th-gen Texan) who has been professionally doing and teaching organic gardening and ranch restoration (he says “ecological restoration” is a term his rancher-clients tend to freak out about, though these terms don’t mean the same thing) for decades. He’s ~70 now.

He said (and I have followed his advice for years: we have oak wilt in our neighborhood) that, as long as one…

• sterilizes all tools;
  • seals every cut, every time, each time (cut, seal, pause to sterilize; then next cut, seal, pause and so on, unless one is certain the tree is 100% oak-wilt-free and then it’s ok to skip sterilizing between cuts); he uses any kind of water-based paint and is not beholden to Tanglefoot Pruning Seal and its ilk);
  • drags all branches away from the tree ASAP

… then pruning oaks can pretty much be done at any time of year. I’ve seen his work. His results speak volumes.

Yes and… exceptions re timing:

Dead, diseased, damaged, or crossing limbs that rub against each other.
These ought to be removed stat, for the health of the tree.

7 Likes
12 Likes

Um, which end of a person ingests it? :grimacing:

6 Likes

Has to be mouth, most people’s resting state for the colon would not permit insect entries :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah. And i suppose if one ever does try to work its way in, we’d wake up before it succeeds!

Happy Bird GIF

9 Likes

I know I certainly would :rofl:

I wish I had a dancing parrot on my coffee machine too.

9 Likes

That’s a great way for someone to trim when necessary during oak wilt season. I was speaking more as a general rule for lay people

3 Likes
8 Likes

Set aside the extra leg . . . is this a play on “mandingo?” WTF am I looking at here?

“Odd” as in “revolting.” I came across this piece of news this morning while scanning through microfilm of newspapers from 1872.

This was a few days after an announcement that the “Mayor’s Court” had “no business of interest to anyone,” because it was all “colored concerns.” If you read through these papers from 1865 onward, it’s amazing how the references go from “freedmen” to “negroes” and colored" and the news changes from normal happenings, to pieces like the one above, to nothing but crime notices and references to “corrective justice.” Slow, steady dehumanization.

12 Likes

It was apparently a thing.

Subliminal oddity for memory retention? Play on “third leg” joke? Idk but they ran several variants.

The question really was, did they come three to a box?

1 Like

If so, somebody owes me a boot, size six.

3 Likes