Odd Stuff (Part 4)

Mmmm. More Bier.

5 Likes
4 Likes

ā€œIn an email to MPR News on Tuesday, airport spokesperson Jeff Lea said Maceda-Tapia had been employed by Midfield Concession Enterprisesā€

Comments reserved

2 Likes

The tool was intended to replicate highlighter pen, it was possible to choose the colour, so if you had black text you could choose black highlight and bingo your text was invisible. Simply cutting and pasting the text into any word-processing software would show the text.

8 Likes
3 Likes

The seagulls here are gigantic assholes, we have one who comes and fights with his reflection in the windows, heā€™ll only back off if we get within a few feet of him. Iā€™ve been mobbed at the beach, I watched one steal a guyā€™s sandwich at the train station, and they are definitely bullies to anything smaller.

6 Likes

Yeah, there was an issue a while back about putting black boxes over text. But Iā€™m referring specifically to the redaction tool in Adobe Pro. Once the redactions are applied, the redacted text is completely gone. Including any hidden metadata, and saved as a new file. Black boxes would not cut it. Any competent attorney would know that, itā€™s extremely important. Every firm would have something that does the same thing, since most court filings are electronic now. The article has a correction that Sony didnā€™t directly file these docs. Which makes me wonder if this was a case of weaponized incompetence

Which definitely works if you donā€™t have to redact much and a court is not requiring submission of text-searchable documents. Which most do. There might be way to exploit the Adobe redaction tool but as far a I know, it isnā€™t common knowledge. A part of why Adobe can charge a premium for Pro

3 Likes

Nice! I will totally file this in my ā€œthings that will be very handy to know, when I need to know themā€ corner of my brain.

1 Like

It does seem too hideous to be real.

1 Like

Redaction is a daily part of my workflow! Itā€™s a handy set of tools.

2 Likes

That bit of my brain is regrettably leaky.

1 Like

I experienced this recently. A couple months ago I was doing some historical research that involved the Fremsons. On one of their websites was a PDF newsletter I was reading through, and one of the adjacent articles referred to their system of ā€œdegrees.ā€ Getting promoted through the levels and the stuff requires memorization to pass each test, and the stuff is apparently secret(?). The document also provided a link to study guides for each level, and a blanked-out password. Being the curious sort, I highlighted the blanked-out word, copied, and then pasted it into another Word document. I tried it on the document, and sure enough, it worked. All the ranks of Freemasonry, suddenly open to me.

[Also, it was a ridiculously stupid password that someone probably could have guessed in a few minutes.]

7 Likes
1 Like

eta: nothing to be alarmed about ā€“ unless youā€™re a squirrel.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Japan Sunglasses GIF

7 Likes
2 Likes

merry prankster

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

5 Likes

Sheā€™s amazeballs!

Adore I Love You GIF

8 Likes

Dammit, I should have saved my Molly Hatchet albums.

6 Likes