Odd Stuff (Part 4)

1 Like
6 Likes

Vladimir Putin could be gravely ill, or perhaps even dead.

4 Likes

Bleh. Intentionally bad is justā€¦bad.

3 Likes

DeAundra Peek is a goddess! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What can I say, I have a soft-spot for intentionally bad!

2 Likes

Hmm. Well, I used to hate olives and now I love them, so maybe Iā€™ll keep watching! :eyes: :grinning:

2 Likes

Not everyone is into low-fi entertainmentā€¦ I was practically raised on the stuff (Elvira, Joe Bob Briggs, Troma, B films and kung fu and local circuit pro-wrestling on local channels)ā€¦ For me, lo-fi equals independent and non-commercial, so it speaks to my love of kitsch and my love of DIYā€¦ I love that even if itā€™s poor quality and not what weā€™d call high art, someone was out there making a connection and creating thingsā€¦

More on DeAundra Peekā€¦

Do the kids even know about public access these days? No, they just all set up tik-tok accounts and youtube channelsā€¦

3 Likes

11 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

I thought eye color change in babies was normal? Is it just caucasian kids?

5 Likes

I got nothing. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I could see a crush of white supremacists rushing out to get their kids infected with COVID for blue eye side effects. Because thatā€™s where we live now

Dr. Mengeleā€™s all-natural eye-lightening

4 Likes

Itā€™s normal to go from dark blue to brown. That happens with a lot of babies. Itā€™s normal for eyes to darken for something like a year after birth as more melanin is secreted. But not the other way. It isnā€™t normal to lose melanin

The color of babiesā€™ irises actually depends on melanin, a protein secreted by special cells called melanocytes that also give your babyā€™s skin its color. Babies whose heritage is dark-skinned are usually born with brown eyes, whereas Caucasian newborns tend to be born with blue or gray eyes.

Since melanocytes respond to light, at birth a baby may have eyes that appear gray or blue mostly due to the lack of pigment and because heā€™s been in a dark womb up until now. As heā€™s exposed to more light, over time (even several years) his eye color can change.

If the melanocytes secrete just a little more melanin, this baby may end up with blue eyes. Just a little more melanin and his eyes will be green or hazel. Brown eyes, which are the most common, are the result of very active melanocytes secreting lots of melanin. Brown eyes are likely to remain brown throughout life.

Yeah, I know. Pampers. But their website tends to be ok and I wasnā€™t sure about the others

9 Likes

Thanks! I had read the Pampers site and hadnā€™t thought about the movement in one direction or the other.

6 Likes

Yeah, the eyes going from brown to blue is kind of alarming. It means the meds were doing something unexpected in the iris and eye that could easily be more dangerous than just an eye color change

15 Likes
8 Likes

6d3e055c007232925681c1f4dbb183fd

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-022-00862-3

6 Likes

But they then get sold to others who couldnā€™t afford them when new?

10 Likes

There should be tax incentives for secondhand EV purchase. I think this study misses some important aspects. Itā€™s not just about EV use, itā€™s also about
getting companies to realize there is a demand for EV and research/improve the offerings
Moving public perception to seeing EVs as the go-to solution
An incentive program that is easy to administer. How the hell would a program that accounts for usage work? A flat yearly amount assumed in energy costs? Having to submit proof of how many miles the EV was driven?

Iā€™m also very wary of these household use statistics. I can see a multi car household with the primary vehicle as either a luxury vehicle for the primary earner , some dude-truck, or a transport vehicle for the family. There arenā€™t many options for an EV family car like a mini van or SUV.
In truth, we need the existing incentives , incentives for buying used EVs, incentives to install the charging stations in homes, and incentives for companies to go EV on fleet vehicles. Plus maybe some laws preventing GOP states from gouging EV owners on car registration fees. Which some are doing, claiming these fees make up for missed gas taxes.

ETA: weā€™ve spent years ignoring climate change and subsidizing fossil fuels. We really should be throwing money at EVs and renewable energy. At this point efficient spending is counter productive.

10 Likes