Odd Stuff (Part 4)

Wonder if it’s cheaper to raze and rebuild over trying to remove the contamination in the structure.

4 Likes

Probably0 it’s a really difficult cleanup process:

2 Likes

9 Likes

Whale Jr 1 Surfer 0

3 Likes

Junior has been hanging out with those Orcas again.

6 Likes

File this under WTF:

Dr. Eric Pyle, a professor of Geology & Environmental Science at JMU, says this earthquake happened along the same fault line as the 2.2 magnitude quake on October 15th. “We have all these old faults that are leftover from the formation of Virginia. So a lot of these faults have been sitting there, since that time. Occasionally, there’s a slight build up of energy that has to be released.”
Dr. Pyle does believe that both quakes happened along the old Staunton-Pulaski fault line. There’s a photo of that fault at the end of this story.

Well, ok, I guess… We have earthquakes in VA. Who knew?

9 Likes

I was in a Crystal City, Va. office bldg when this one hit:

My first swaying bldg experience. Not cool.

Don’t forget that some Virginians are sitting on top of an ancient asteroid crater which geologically is still bouncing back. Very, very, very, slowly…

10 Likes

A recent study in the Journal of Pediatrics suggests a compelling alternative. It’s not social media, but the rise of helicopter parenting, in which kids no longer have spaces to just hang out with each other and be kids. It’s titled: Decline in Independent Activity as a Cause of Decline in Children’s Mental Well-being: Summary of the Evidence. If you can’t see the full version, there’s a preprint version here.

9 Likes

While I do not doubt for a moment that this is a factor as well, in certain kids the ongoing online bullying when that is the only space they have to socialize is most certainly a factor as well.

7 Likes

Bullying in general is maybe a factor…

f525800e27e7c2cc9069f9083ee50e16

I don’t know how things were from the 70’s to the mid 80’s, but from what I vaguely remember the mid 90’s is when schools made an effort to address bullying and that seems to correlate with the decline in suicide rates until it starts to rise again in the era of social media.

9 Likes

right as I left school, they started to give a shit, apparently… they really did not give a shit while I was there… :rage:

8 Likes

In the mid-late 70’s, when I was in jr high, bullying was a huge issue for me. But I could escape it at home, and in the pool. I can’t imagine what it would have been like had I been unable to get a respite. After I got my full growth and established myself (the jock among the nerds, the brain among the jocks) it was not a problem, but that is a position of great privilege. Lots of kids don’t get that insulation and are under fire their entire school career. It is certainly a multifactorial issue, there is no one silver bullet to it. The social stressors from Covid fallout, the shitshow of social media, the breakdown of so many families (around here, at least) in the meth epidemic, the loss of so much mental health infrastructure and access points. It is a cluster from every perspective. Looking for a single fix is unrealistic and oversimplifies a very complex situation.

12 Likes

Has there been much fracking on n the region?

4 Likes

… it was a period when there was more and more violence and crime in general, not just suicide :thinking:

5 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes

Baby blanket theft

Tampere-based Aamulehti reports of baby blankets going missing in the city’s maternity and post-natal ward.

Sharp-eyed staff have, however, noticed the fox-patterned blankets cropping up on social media. This is interesting because the Finnish manufacturer, Univiso, does not retail directly to consumers.

AL said new moms should keep in mind that the Finnish-made blankets are funded by taxpayers. In any event, extra efforts are not needed to track down the culprits. This is because the manufacturer has microchipped every blanket it sends to institutional clinets, like hospitals and daycares.

7 Likes

The Buzzer normally runs 24/7, making the same “buzz [rest] buzz [rest]” noise pattern. What he describes happening on its frequency is most unusual.

Those letters look cyrillic.

4 Likes

Nope, none that i know of.

2 Likes

Larry Ale-ison institute invests in Oxford pub linked to Tolkien, CS Lewis

8 Likes